Menu

Update: Hooray! Hysterectomy is scheduled!

Had a consultation and a VERY thorough exam yesterday with the gyno-oncologist. Surgery will be in two weeks. I feel like I've been patted on the head way too long with my regular gyno for this insane bleeding. Being told repeatedly to "just lay down and keep taking your iron" was not cutting it anymore. It was making me anemic and frustrated, and I felt vulnerable. It took several weeks to even be sent to the lab because come to find out, staff kept referencing my labwork from 2 years ago by mistake, thinking it was current because of it's wrong placement on my chart. (Good grief. They should have never admitted that one to me. I didn't need another reason to lose confidence in that office.)

Now I have a Man with a Plan! He's gives clear information on when to call his office, and how to handle things between now and surgery. He's a confident straight-shooter, exactly what I like to see in a doctor.

Oh, and only a one night hospital stay as long as pathology says I'm clear. Sheesh. So, so different than the invasive procedure with long healing time I was led to believe would be in store for me. What a shame, all that worry for naught.

MrTea and I are so relieved! We were giddy all the way home and stopped to have a nice dinner to celebrate. I had the red meat special. :D

Ladies, stay on top of your exams. I did, and never had a hint of trouble until very recently. Keep track of your dates and meds if problems start to arise, so that you can help your healthcare provider help you. Listen to your body and trust your instincts. I knew something was amiss because I just haven't felt good, and sure enough, I had cells that had changed in a relatively short time. My family has a horrible track record when it comes to cancer, so yes, I was more than a little alarmed that my needs were not being addressed immediately. Now I am feeling nothing but relief and confidence that I'm on a good team.

:cheers2: Salud!

Congratulations in finding the right doctor and feeling like you are now on the path to healing! I am fortunate to have found a gyno who listens well and is cautious. My biopsy came back clear. So I am trying to decide my next move.

I wish you all the best and a good outcome 2 weeks from now.

Glad you are going to have things taken care of and that your Dr has helped you feel good with your decision! I had my surgery in January and my recovery was amazingly easy compared to what I had first envisioned. I'm so grateful for the surgery...mine came as a result of heavy periods due to fibroids and polyps...but that last one I almost bled to death (although I didn't know it was that serious at the time...just had no idea at what point I ought to worry!).

Just wanted to recommend a fabulous website I found just prior to my surgery--it was really helpful before and also during recovery.

www.hystersisters.com

Best wishes...enjoy the bedrest while you can and don't rush the recovery too much!

Thank you all for the well wishes and prayers. :grouphug: right back at you!

I spent a little time at the hystersisters site, thanks. Found some good tips for presurgery (threw a sleep mask in my overnight bag). I probably will be tempted to push myself on recovery time, just because I am anxious to get this behind me and get back to my old self again. In the past I've bounced back from anesthesia quickly with no problems. Recovery from vag childbirth was always a quick, smooth road as well. So I have faith my body will respond favorably. BUT, just in case, I am prepared to totally take advantage of my kind family members. ;)