Menu

BJU dvd's vs. DIVE w/ BJU texts

We are using BJU DVDs with Physical Science this year. I think there is enough difference between Apologia and BJU Physical Science that that shouldn't be a problem. Yes, the DVDs are long, but my kids love Mr. Harmon. DD sometimes complains about the length, but DS never does.

I had originally planned on doing DIVE with BJU PS, but my kids had used DIVE with Saxon math and hated it. They begged not to do science that way. Many people love DIVE, and it definitely takes less time (and is cheaper). For my kids, though, the DVDs are the way to go.

If you want a "live" teacher day in and day out then I'd definitely choose DVD's over Dive CD. We're currently using the DIVE Integrated Physics & Chemistry. The way it is set up is that the student independently reads the assigned material, defines vocabulary words, and then watches the lecture and lab. DD does her independent work on M, T, W then listens to the lecture on Th and watches lab on F. So far, from what I can tell, each lecture is about 20 minutes if you run it straight through. Labs vary more depending on the complexity of it. The lectures are good, but very condensed IMHO. So, really what's been happening around here is that I'm adding to what he's presenting by doing my own lecturing w/dd. She gets a bit frustrated by the lectures because they are set up on power point slides with a lot of writing on them. We used BJU DVD's last year for life science and they worked well for dd, so I am familiar w/both formats.

HTH,

Jennifer

very condensed[/u] IMHO.

My understanding is that the DIVE lecture is meant to highlight the topics studied in the textbook so it isn't a full lecture on every point of the lesson.

We have done DIVE Physical Science and now this year DIVE Biology. My oldest dd did very well with the set up using multiple learning styles.

Her schedule was like this:

Define terms listed in DIVE student workbook (Part of the grade)

Read scheduled material (Textbook of your choice or Internet links)

Watch DIVE lecture and take notes (Notes are part of the grade)

Do review questions from DIVE student workbook (Part of grade)

Type notes

Do laboratory activity sheet from DIVE student notebook (Part of grade)

--------------------------------------------------------------

The sample I saw of the BJU DVD's was awesome and very interactive.

You want the BJU DVDs, not the DIVE. We love the DIVE, but we love it because it isn't an every day thing. It only covers the difficult and important points and expects students to get the rest from their reading.

I agree. The DIVE would only cover what your co-op class is doing and probably would not be a fit for you.

I can't comment on the DIVE cd's, but we are using BJU Chemistry with the dvd's this year after giving up trying to teach Apologia Chemistry last year. Mr. Harmon knows his stuff and can teach it well, IMHO, and I assume he does the same with the physical science course.

I'm so glad you started this thread.

I am also very frustrated with Apologia for Science. My oldest child has done fine with it. My next dd is really frustrated with Physical Science and isn't learning much at all. I think I may switch to BJU Science for 9th grade. My only concern is that my dd will hate sitting an listening to a 45 minute lecture every day.

Elise in NC

I'm so glad you started this thread.

I am also very frustrated with Apologia for Science. My oldest child has done fine with it. My next dd is really frustrated with Physical Science and isn't learning much at all. I think I may switch to BJU Science for 9th grade. My only concern is that my dd will hate sitting an listening to a 45 minute lecture every day.

Elise in NC

Get a hold of the sample DVD. It isn't just straight lecture at least all the time.

Shari, before beginning school this year I too looked at the DIVE option. I was skeptical about my youngest ds being able to get all of his school work done with two long 45 minute videos each day (math and sci). After researching it though, I chose BJU DVDs. BJU is just an exceptional science program.

My ds loves it. And the daily review and teaching is really beneficial for mastery and retention for him. He is getting A's and loving science. Due to our recording the class from the satellite before they closed shop on that option, he doesn't have Mr. Harmon, he has Miss Lacy. She's wonderful and fun. I know for a fact the Mr. Harmon is wonderful too though because my middle son did his Chemistry class and loved it. Mr. Harmon was his very favorite BJU teacher.

As a side note: Youngest ds is also loving his Algebra 1 class even though his teacher (Miss La Page) has the MOST ANNOYING voice imaginable. :lol: He can mimic her voice perfectly now though, so I get to hear 'her' throughout the day in a variety of subjects. :lol::lol:

As a side note: Youngest ds is also loving his Algebra 1 class even though his teacher (Miss La Page) has the MOST ANNOYING voice imaginable. :lol: He can mimic her voice perfectly now though, so I get to hear 'her' throughout the day in a variety of subjects. :lol::lol:

Maybe this is one of the reasons Mrs. Genco is the Algebra 1 teacher now. ;)

(other than the fact that Mrs. Genco is an excellent teacher, IMHO)

Maybe this is one of the reasons Mrs. Genco is the Algebra 1 teacher now. ;)

(other than the fact that Mrs. Genco is an excellent teacher, IMHO)

Hahah! Probably! What's sad is that I have Miss La Page recorded for Algebra 2 as well!! Arg!! :lol: Thankfully my ds has adjusted to her voice though and is finding it comic relief during his day. ;)

I believe we have Mrs. Genco recorded for Geometry. None of my older boys used BJU Geometry, so that will be a completely new experience for me

Another vote for BJU dvd's! I cannot imagine doing high school science any other way. The classes are long, but imho that is what high school science should be. It takes a lot of time and effort to learn it well. We have found that we cannot handle more than two dvd subjects at a time. For us, that is science and foreign language.:001_smile:

We have the DVDs for Algebra I, which has Mrs. Genco for the teacher. DS loves her and is making A's in math for the first time since elementary school. Math is now one of his favorite subjects. Love, love BJU Algebra I and Mrs. Genco! (He also really likes listening to all the kids that participate in the class. He wishes more of his classes were like that.)