Menu

need pre-algebra recommendations...

Katiebug_1976

If I'm not mistaken, Lial's has a pre-algebra book?

You could also use Basic College Math by Margaret Lial. Many people use it as a pre-algebra course. Plus, it's pretty inexpensive.

My oldest used Russian Math by Perpendicular Press. It prepared my son well for algebraic thinking. We used the first version. I understand he has come out with a newer version.

There is also the Dolciani pre-algebra books. We used it more as a reference book but it's good text.

I hope you find what you need.

Denise

Could someone explain the difference in going with Lial's Pre-Algebra as opposed to Lial's BCM??

thank you!!

I posted a bunch on this a while back, including the two TOCs for comparison.

We started in BCM after Singapore 6 and my dd found it way too basic - we bumped her up to the Prealgebra and she was much happier. Depends on the kid and what program they've used before which would be a better fit.

I have used Lial's BCM with one of my ds, but I have an old Dolciani Accelerated Pre-algebra text that I really like.

Another idea for you. My oldest used a Pre-Calculus tutor from LiveOnlineMath. It was not John Bovey, who runs the classes and video courses, but a tutor that he found for me. Most of my communications were through him and it was a phenomenal experience for ds. The tutor was great. And Mr. Bovey kept in constant contact to see how it was going. The tutor used an online white board and Skype for the lessons and she followed up each lesson with an update.

Now - I would imagine that his online live classes and video courses would be just as professsionally run. It is a great option for a parent who doesn't feel comfortable with the material or for the child who needs something other than Mom. Here are some links (I don't remember the site being so hard to navigate): http://www.liveonlinemath.com/video-plus_courses/video_samples.html http://www.liveonlinemath.com/classes/whats_a_live_session_like.html

Lials BCM is the recommended pre-algebra course and Lials Pre-Algebra is for kids who need more practice before moving onto algebra 1. BCM is a great program!

I wouldn't put it quite that way. BCM has more basic math review with a sprinkling of prealgebra proper (negative numbers, variables, simple equations) at the very end.

Prealgebra starts with the prealgebra proper and uses those concepts throughout while reviewing basic math. (Fractions/Decimals/Geometry with negative numbers and variables, rather than just those concepts with positive numbers).

One can do one after the other, or one OR the other, depending on the kid and their needs.