Menu

What are your favorite chewy jewerly options and/or figets?

I think it's finally time to save dd's poor shirt sleeves, collars, and hems. :tongue_smilie: She is most likely ADHD-Inattentive just like her daddy, and it's not bad enough to medicate at the moment but I would definitely like to address all of the shirt eating when she's bored/has empty hands, like on walks & in lines. :glare: In the car we're fine, as she can draw constantly.

My daughter has this kind and she hasn't used it much because it pulls at her hair in the back. So she will hold it to chew on it. So if you think that might bother your daughter, you might want to avoid this one.

Chewing is considered an oral stim sometimes when it persists so you might want to keep an eye on that and watch for other possible stimming behaviors.

• 5 months later...

Malcolm is not chewing clothes but has started putting toys in his mouth again and he is picking toys that should not be going in his mouth :glare:. He is still breastfeeding too, and I am trying to put the pieces together as to why he still feels the need. He appears to be a sensory seeker so I wonder if something like this might help him. Has anyone used something like this to wean a young child? Cutting him off is not an option! He will cry the house down and make me feel like I don't care about him. That breaks my heart so I have been unable to successfully wean him so far.

LittleIzumi, my apologies for jumping into your thread. I was just wondering if anyone has dealt with something like this, since I saw your thread.

Edited by Guest

Malcolm is not chewing clothes but has started putting toys in his mouth again and he is picking toys that should not be going in his mouth :glare:. He is still breastfeeding too, and I am trying to put the peaces together as to why he still feels the need. He appears to be a sensory seeker so I wonder if something like this might help him. Has anyone used something like this to wean a young child? Cutting him off is not an option! He will cry the house down and make me feel like I don't care about him. That breaks my heart so I have been unable to successfully wean him so far.

LittleIzumi, my apologies for jumping into your thread. I was just wondering if anyone has dealt with something like this, since I saw your thread.

I haven't used chewies as a weaning distraction, but my sensory-seeking dd also nursed a TON. The little NUK gum brushes scrubbed all over her mouth were her favorite to fill her oral seeking need.

I haven't used chewies as a weaning distraction, but my sensory-seeking dd also nursed a TON. The little NUK gum brushes scrubbed all over her mouth were her favorite to fill her oral seeking need.

Oooops... caught my spelling mistake a bit too late :lol:!

Is this the one you mean?

http://www.nuk-gerber.com/12-36months/oral-care/grinsgiggles-toddler-tooth-gum-cleanser.aspx

We have a toothbrush for him but we don't let him play with it so this would be good to give him to use. Thanks :D!

Is gum am option? I know that if I did not have gum in my mouth I would chew on anything in my hands, including my nails. It is partially a nervous habit amd partially a sensory need. I don't need to chew on things anymore except in very stressful situations, like long distance drives. My mom started to give me Trident at a very young age, 4 or 5 I think. It helps clean the teeth too.

My Dd is the same way, she chew her nails or wants gum. She is four and has learned to chrw gum.

He is still breastfeeding too, and I am trying to put the pieces together as to why he still feels the need. He appears to be a sensory seeker so I wonder if something like this might help him. Has anyone used something like this to wean a young child? Cutting him off is not an option! He will cry the house down and make me feel like I don't care about him. That breaks my heart so I have been unable to successfully wean him so far.

My now 8yr old Aspie daughter was the same way.. I couldn't get her to wean to save my life!! She was soooooooooo HIGH NEEDS, it was just insane.. Neither of us could cope if I were to cut her off.. But she was nearly 3 at the time and I couldn't take another day.. She was so hyperactive and impulsive and that is not a good thing to have on the breast! I had finally gotten her down to just nighttime feedings.. So to get her the rest of the way weaned, I read The No-Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers.. That was the ONLY thing that got us through nighttime weaning.. Oh man, it sucked going through that, because she was such a screamer and a non-sleeper and just ALL OVER THE PLACE hyperactive.. I thought I was going to die.. :svengo: But reading that book totally saved me! I highly recommend it.

My now 8yr old Aspie daughter was the same way.. I couldn't get her to wean to save my life!! She was soooooooooo HIGH NEEDS, it was just insane.. Neither of us could cope if I were to cut her off.. But she was nearly 3 at the time and I couldn't take another day.. She was so hyperactive and impulsive and that is not a good thing to have on the breast! I had finally gotten her down to just nighttime feedings.. So to get her the rest of the way weaned, I read The No-Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers.. That was the ONLY thing that got us through nighttime weaning.. Oh man, it sucked going through that, because she was such a screamer and a non-sleeper and just ALL OVER THE PLACE hyperactive.. I thought I was going to die.. :svengo: But reading that book totally saved me! I highly recommend it.

Well, you have pretty much described Malcolm on his bad days (today being one of them :glare:). Thank you for the book recommendation. I just put it on hold at the library. If it weren't for the time, my hubby would probably go and pick it up right now :lol:.

Malcolm is not chewing clothes but has started putting toys in his mouth again and he is picking toys that should not be going in his mouth :glare:. He is still breastfeeding too, and I am trying to put the pieces together as to why he still feels the need. He appears to be a sensory seeker so I wonder if something like this might help him. Has anyone used something like this to wean a young child? Cutting him off is not an option! He will cry the house down and make me feel like I don't care about him. That breaks my heart so I have been unable to successfully wean him so far.

my youngest used big brother's chew shapes and tubes to teeth. he used them a lot for a bout a year. he was nurseing that enire time. i made on effort at weaning but they were nice for care seat and he'd pick them up to naw on in the house -- he was not one to nurse beyond his 7 to 12 minute feel, nor evey often at that.

he self weaned at 4.

(big brother self weaned at 3)

with out "subsitute"

my youngest used big brother's chew shapes and tubes to teeth. he used them a lot for a bout a year. he was nurseing that enire time. i made on effort at weaning but they were nice for care seat and he'd pick them up to naw on in the house -- he was not one to nurse beyond his 7 to 12 minute feel, nor evey often at that.

he self weaned at 4.

(big brother self weaned at 3)

with out "subsitute"

I am going to have to look into getting some chew shapes. It is what I have been thinking also. Thanks for the suggestion.

I am going to have to look into getting some chew shapes. It is what I have been thinking also. Thanks for the suggestion.

honestly, I bite them on long car drives; especially did when the little one cried in the car seat. i sometimes shew one as i read and wish i had HAD these in college

honestly, I bite them on long car drives; especially did when the little one cried in the car seat. i sometimes shew one as i read and wish i had HAD these in college

I am more of the hand fidget type myself and Adrian seems to be too. Malcolm, we are still working on figuring out :tongue_smilie:. Adrian never put things in his mouth past about the age of 1. Then briefly did it just before the age of three and then stopped a few weeks later. I am hoping that putting things in his mouth again (he had stopped a while back) is just a temporary thing. Breastfeeding is not though. I feel it's the cuddling/ being held that he likes but have been unable to find a replacement. I thought about a weighted blanket but he throws covers off :001_huh:. He is not interested in stuffed animals or anything like that either. Still working on it.