Menu

Spelling AGONY!

Ipsey

My 8-year-old, who is in public school, Can Not Spell.

It's agonizing.

He wrote out his spelling list today, missing 50% of the words

clipbord

housplant

blusht

over and over he wrote them wrong.

Now, I know phonetically there's nothing wrong with "blusht" and. . .yanno, it's not terrible, it at least makes sense how he gets there, but he does it OVER AND OVER. We've spent nearly a year reviewing "they" and he still writes it "thay". Even on this week's spelling test.

I make him break the words into syllables, look at the first syllable, say the letters aloud several times, and then write them, and then go to the next syllable. But, unless I stand over him, he won't do it, and he'll miss every word, unless I'm there cracking the whip!

What strategies do you have for spelling?

We write them in a number of ways and do various activities. I'm just at my wit's end!

Help, oh please!

Thanks!

SWR (spelling to write and read). If you are really worried and your son is not working with other things, SWR is the most complete and intensive spelling program out there. It solved my DS's spelling woes in 2 years, which I consider a miracle. Because of an auditory processing problem, he had mapped the wrong letter to english sounds, and his spelling could not have been worse.

SWR took me 1 intense week to read thoroughly and understand how to teach (which I absolutely loved because it explained so many spelling oddities that I had always wondered about). And now I prep 10 minutes on Sunday and teach spelling 15 minutes 5 days a week.

Ruth in NZ

you've gotten good advice:). i just wanted to add something that may or may not benefit you. my daughter also spelled "they" as "thay" all.the.time. what finally helped her was explaining the word "the" always hides inside the beginning of: they, them, there, their, and these. for whatever reason, this helped both of my children a great deal. it took a few reminders in the beginning, but she caught on quickly & it is now helping out my son as well. hth.

SWR (spelling to write and read). If you are really worried and your son is not working with other things, SWR is the most complete and intensive spelling program out there.

SWR does have some great ways to help kids remember. 1. 70 phonograms, 2. 28 spelling rules, 3. Fingergrams where the child says each sound of the word and the parent puts up the number of fingers for the number of letters each sound contains. (This helps the child to remember, for example, that the word "blushed" has 5 sounds but 7 letters.) and 4. markings to highlight multi-letter phonograms, rules and those times that words don't appear to follow the rules, and 5. Think-to-spell (like when we spell Wednesday, we all say Wed-nes-day, you do that with all words whose pronunciation has changed but the spelling has stayed the same).

It is an intense program, and it takes a lot of time to get up to speed. But it works.