Menu

If you've used Growing w/ Grammar-what next?

Ann@thebeach

So we've used GWG 3,4,5. He just finished book 5 this summer and I'm debating if I should get book 6 or try something different.

It's not that I'm not happy with GWG, I think it's a good program. But he's in 7th grade and I wonder if we should try another program to be "well rounded?"

Sometimes I think certain programs get stuck teaching with a certain method or routine and maybe things need to be shaken up a little? Maybe something like Editor in Chief as a good alternative?

Or maybe just stick with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." ;)

I DO think he still needs grammar so he does need something.

Thanks for any ideas.

We use GWG here in 1st and 2nd grades. Then we switch to R&S. I like GWG for the younger ones because they don't have to write as much or look at a book and copy. (My middle ds will actually use it longer because he has fine motor issues)

My oldest ds did 3rd grade GWG. I ordered level 4 and it seemed almost the same as level 3. Same exercises all the time. We switched to R&S and that fits much better. There is some variety in the exercises and not so much fill in the blank.

If you're looking for secular I'm of little help though! :001_huh:

I just downloaded Grammarlogues for my son to use after GWG 5; I am still mulling over MCT.

One eye opener... He always scores 100% on all tests and assignments in GWG 5. I sat and did the Common Nouns lesson in Grammarlogues with him, then let him do only the easiest level exercise associated with it for grade 6... and he scored 38%. To say that I was floored (and so was he) was putting it mildly.

I don't know much about the program yet, but I liked what I saw in the preview, and at $40 through Homeschool Buyer's co-op for several grades, it's worth a peek.

I just downloaded Grammarlogues for my son to use after GWG 5; I am still mulling over MCT.

One eye opener... He always scores 100% on all tests and assignments in GWG 5. I sat and did the Common Nouns lesson in Grammarlogues with him, then let him do only the easiest level exercise associated with it for grade 6... and he scored 38%. To say that I was floored (and so was he) was putting it mildly.

I don't know much about the program yet, but I liked what I saw in the preview, and at $40 through Homeschool Buyer's co-op for several grades, it's worth a peek.

Oh no, that scares me. My DD10 flies through her GWG5, always scoring 100%. I was thinking of using JAG in 6th grade, but that online program looks interesting.:bigear:

• 4 months later...
We use GWG here in 1st and 2nd grades. Then we switch to R&S. I like GWG for the younger ones because they don't have to write as much or look at a book and copy. (My middle ds will actually use it longer because he has fine motor issues)

My oldest ds did 3rd grade GWG. I ordered level 4 and it seemed almost the same as level 3. Same exercises all the time. We switched to R&S and that fits much better. There is some variety in the exercises and not so much fill in the blank.

If you're looking for secular I'm of little help though! :001_huh:

This is what we did GWG1,2 & 3 then 4 looked so much like 3 that we switched to R&S for 4 and have purchased 5 for next yr. Next time son we plan to start R&S at 3. GWG is great. Just looks the same year after year - as many grammar prgms do.