Menu

Need book ideas for Dolphins unit study

nukeswife

Hi all,

My kids and I are going to see Dolphin Tale tomorrow and I thought it would be nice to do a year of science based on interest. They'd like to do a dolphin study and I have a great lapbook from homeschool share, but would love to add some good fiction books that feature Dolphins.

I've seen the title "Island of the Blue Dolphins" but after reading the description it doesn't seem like dolphins have much to do with the story. I've never read it so let me know if I'm wrong. I also know of Dolphins at Daybreak (Magic Tree House series) and it's non-fiction counterpart.

Please let me in on any good dolphin fiction books you know of.

We loved Dolphin Tale! You could search Enchanted Learning (all sorts of info and sheets) and after the movie, go to the website of the actual dolphin in Dolphin's Tale: http://www.seewinter.com

Get all the books from the library on dolphins that look interesting, maybe splurge on a marine mammal encyclopedia or something of that kind.. Not necessary, but fun. Are there any dolphin research centers close by? We have one about an hour away. When ds gets a bit older/more mature, I'm going to encourage him to volunteer for a summer.

There's also a great Imax movie with Sting narrating on dolphins.

Thanks to all that replied.

My ultra-lazy, ultra-cheap, mama-of-4, reply to any kind of unit study - search Amazon, then reserve everything you can from the library!

Here's a quick search for dolphins in kids' books!

I've done that, but my library stinks so I was looking for more recommendations of things someones already used.

Have you read Dolphin Adventure and Dolphin Treasure by Wayne Grover? They aren't exactly fiction, but they read like a great adventure story. My six year old loved them, but DH and I also found them interesting.

Thanks I'll check those out.

Check Homeschool Share, they have a free dolphin unit. ;) I think I noticed they mentioned it on Facebook or Google+ last night or something like that. :D

I mentioned in my OP that I already have this, but thanks for the suggestion

How about you watch Flipper :)

This is the newer one.

Thanks, but I'm not really looking for movies/tv my kids have no problem finding that stuff on their own, it's the books we have more trouble with

We loved Dolphin Tale! You could search Enchanted Learning (all sorts of info and sheets) and after the movie, go to the website of the actual dolphin in Dolphin's Tale: http://www.seewinter.com

Get all the books from the library on dolphins that look interesting, maybe splurge on a marine mammal encyclopedia or something of that kind.. Not necessary, but fun. Are there any dolphin research centers close by? We have one about an hour away. When ds gets a bit older/more mature, I'm going to encourage him to volunteer for a summer.

There's also a great Imax movie with Sting narrating on dolphins.

Thanks for the ideas, I have all the sheets/projects covered. My library stinks so what they have isn't really what I'm looking for. Unfortunately I don't know of any Dolphin research places here in VA, but that would be fun. The best I could find is a Dolphin watching boat tour but they are almost done for the season, but maybe we can get on one of those.

We're currently doing that too. I just went to the library and checked out every dolphin book they had....which was only like 4. I downloaded a unit study as well.

The kids can't wait to get started on it!

We got the following books:

Adventures of Riley: Dolphins in Danger

Is A Dolphin A Fish? Questions and Answers About Dolphins

Wild About Dolphins

And then we got an easy reader book for DD to read to me: Diving Dolphin.

I also hope to find Flipper or something in Netflix.