Menu

Relax or Challenge Adv Kindergartener (long)

DS loves school. His teacher says that he is the model student--which surprises me since he's been a bit wilder and crazier at home since school started. However, when I ask him what he learns in school, he says nothing. He'll tell me in detail what he did that day, but when asked so what did you learn--he still with say "nothing." I'm starting to think he's telling the truth. But I'm not sure what to do about it.

He spends so much energy being "good" at school that he just needs to be crazy for a little while when he gets home. Then he wants to build with his citiblocs or legos or snap circuits. I think that maybe I could get a couple blocks of 20 minutes with him but some of that needs to be homework--writing practice [he's a lefty and a boy so this is something that needs work] and reading aloud to me [to build confidence.]

Is it ok to accept that he isn't going to learn anything in kindy beyond social skills and fine motor coordination? Is there a sneaky way to gently push that doesn't seem like school. I'm especially thinking math. He's rejected Miquon and MEP. The school uses Houghton Mifflin Math Expressions. In his words, it is baby work. He can add three digit numbers and we are subtracting two digit numbers (not mastered yet) and that's just dad doodling with him. I think he has a gift at math (three grandparents work in the sciences so it isn't a surprise). Anyone have luck with Kitchen Table Math? Would I be better off with Challenge Primary Math?

Help. My parents had no idea what to with me and I paid for it. I don't want the same for my son. I want him to enjoy school and be challenged. I know I'm lucky but its still hard.

Edited by ChristineW

DS loves school. His teacher says that he is the model student--which surprises me since he's been a bit wilder and crazier at home since school started. However, when I ask him what he learns in school, he says nothing. He'll tell me in detail what he did that day, but when asked so what did you learn--he still with say "nothing." I'm starting to think he's telling the truth. But I'm not sure what to do about it.

Asking "What did you learn?" is probably a hard question for a K kid to answer. Have you tried to ask specifically about certain subjects, like "What did you do in math today?"

He spends so much energy being "good" at school that he just needs to be crazy for a little while when he gets home. Then he wants to build with his citiblocs or legos or snap circuits. I think that maybe I could get a couple blocks of 20 minutes with him but some of that needs to be homework--writing practice [he's a lefty and a boy so this is something that needs work] and reading aloud to me [to build confidence.]

If you have a couple of 20 minute blocks, use them on the subjects that you think are the most important and leave everything else until he is a little older and has a longer attention span. He will probably be less crazy at home as the year progresses.

Maybe you could do just one challenge lesson each day, sometimes math, sometimes some other area he's ahead in. I'd continue to do reading every day, but consider some easy-to-read nonfiction books covering science and social studies concepts.

His mind probably benefits a lot from his "building" hobby. You might want to look into slightly more challenging toys or projects along those lines, to give his mind some exercise in those science and math concepts that he will eventually tackle in a formal manner. But I wouldn't push it if he seems to be exercising his mind with his current building projects.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Dd was like that (she could tell me what they did--and that she didn't learn ANYTHING. She was upset. "They keep trying to teach me the ALPHABET and I already know it!!!!"). The school was supposed to work with me on accelerating her into higher grade work but they did not so I ended up pulling her, as she got to the point of greatly disliking school and the idea of school, etc. :grouphug:

Is it ok to accept that he isn't going to learn anything in kindy beyond social skills and fine motor coordination? Is there a sneaky way to gently push that doesn't seem like school. I'm especially thinking math. He's rejected Miquon and MEP. The school uses Houghton Mifflin Math Expressions. In his words, it is baby work. He can add three digit numbers and we are subtracting two digit numbers (not mastered yet) and that's just dad doodling with him. I think he has a gift at math (three grandparents work in the sciences so it isn't a surprise). Anyone have luck with Kitchen Table Math? Would I be better off with Challenge Primary Math?

Btw, here's my review of Math Expressions. What I did was purchase the 2nd grade program on my own when my son was in K last year, and I just sent in the work with him to do at school, and of course at home. Now this year he is going across the hall to do the third grade program. I'm lucky that our school has been flexible.

Btw, here's my review of Math Expressions. What I did was purchase the 2nd grade program on my own when my son was in K last year, and I just sent in the work with him to do at school, and of course at home. Now this year he is going across the hall to do the third grade program. I'm lucky that our school has been flexible.

Thank you. That was helpful. The school has a parent education night on the math program in two weeks. I'll try to find out their policy on acceleration. I can see from the website how he would think it was babyish.

DS saw his sister working on MEP and decided that maybe it isn't so bad. Right now, he's really focused on reading so I'm following his lead.

ChristineW, does your school district have a deal with Houghton Mifflin where you can go online and look at the Math Expressions textbooks? We got information on how to do this at our curriculum night, plus it is on the district website. It is through a website called http://www.thinkcentral.com. You have to have a login and password from your school district.

I mention this, because you could sign in and look at the first grade textbook, and have your kid do some of the chapter tests in it. If first grade seemed like a better level for your child, you could bring in that work to the teacher to share as part of your conversation.

Yes, first let him burn off steam. I'd do some good read alouds with him and find something more challenging for math, such as SM. Get some good math music, too, that he can listen to while he plays. I don't mean the boring math facts to music stuff, but something like http://songsforlearning.com/doggonemath.php. Those songs were written for sixth graders by their teacher and are definitly not for babies. Take a look at all 3 to see which one you might like.

However, you don't have to do this in kindergarten if he's not interested yet.