Menu

Latin Alive?

Yes, it is secular. There may be a reference here or there to God. One is in the state mottos, some refer to God, but it's a historical reference.

I consider the DVDs essential unless you have a firm grasp of Latin grammar. Karen Moore teaches through most of the chapter, so it's not just to introduce the material.

I believe it is a thorough and rich program. It includes reading, translation work, and full grammar instruction.

Yes, it is secular. There may be a reference here or there to God. One is in the state mottos, some refer to God, but it's a historical reference.

I consider the DVDs essential unless you have a firm grasp of Latin grammar. Karen Moore teaches through most of the chapter, so it's not just to introduce the material.

I believe it is a thorough and rich program. It includes reading, translation work, and full grammar instruction.

Thanks so much!

My son saw the DVD sample and liked it a lot.

Would it be good for a 7th grader with very little latin background? I took Latin about 30 years ago so I am not much help. :001_smile:

Thanks so much!

My son saw the DVD sample and liked it a lot.

Would it be good for a 7th grader with very little latin background? I took Latin about 30 years ago so I am not much help. :001_smile:

I would be prepared to work with him and move slower if necessary. My son had two previous years of Latin and we had to slow down with Latin Alive. We had a chaotic life last year, which didn't help and he had some trouble with the translations. So it's hard to gauge what we could have accomplished.

We added Cambridge this year for reading (which is not necessary, I just needed to approach the reading part from a different direction for him). We will finish the grammar lessons in LA I this year.

All that to say, even if it takes two years to complete, it's still good.

Unless you know Latin and can teach it, you will need the DVDs. I taught the program to a co-op class last year, and it would have been impossible to teach without a background in Latin. It is very Saxon-like in its approach: lots of little bits of info sprinkled out through multiple lessons. You really need to know where they are going with it, because it caused all of my students to ask a LOT of questions.

Unless you know Latin and can teach it, you will need the DVDs. I taught the program to a co-op class last year, and it would have been impossible to teach without a background in Latin. It is very Saxon-like in its approach: lots of little bits of info sprinkled out through multiple lessons. You really need to know where they are going with it, because it caused all of my students to ask a LOT of questions.

We love Saxon Math so that is probably a good thing for us.

I definitely think you could do Latin Alive on your own, esp. w/ the dvd's. I only mentioned VP to say that LA is being used successfully for 7th grade level for kids who haven't had Latin before.

I know we could do it alone. I like the idea of a real life teacher though and using the DVDs in case we need to review something. Plus I think it will take a teeny bit of pressure off of me.