Menu

Dr. Hive--Anaphylaxis ???

My husband is having an allergic reaction. I'm familiar with anaphylaxis because my son has those reactions but I'm not sure what my husband is having is allergy vs. anaphylaxis.

He had throat swelling (tightness) and what sounds like minor swelling in his mouth. He had trouble getting a full breath and chest tightness. I say had because he told me 30 minutes after the reaction started when he wasn't feeling better. He said he immediately took a double dose of children's benadryl. When he told me I had him take another double dose (for a full adult dose). Now, about five minutes later, he says he's feeling better. I couldn't get him to take my son's inhaler. I suspect the chest tightness and trouble getting a full breath are asthma? He's never had an asthma attack.

Ok. So anaphylaxis to me means epi pen (I've got children's but two is an adult dose I believe) and call an ambulance. But I'm confused by the symptoms because I'm seeing no skin issues at all and I'm not sure the swelling he's got (presumably lungs, throat, mouth) is one body system or two? In other words, is this a severe reaction or an anaphylactic one? We live 30 minutes from a hospital but there is an ambulance stationed in our fire department. Our hospital is, in my experience, pretty bad with anaphylactic allergies.

He says he's feeling better and the tightness in the throat and chest are less. He's still clearing his throat.

Either way he's going to see an allergist to get his own epi pen. Ugh. But now--what do I do now?

Edited by sbgrace

My husband is having an allergic reaction. I'm familiar with anaphylaxis because my son has those reactions but I'm not sure what my husband is having is allergy vs. anaphylaxis.

He had throat swelling (tightness) and what sounds like minor swelling in his mouth. He had trouble getting a full breath and chest tightness. I say had because he told me 30 minutes after the reaction started when he wasn't feeling better. He said he immediately took a double dose of children's benadryl. When he told me I had him take another double dose (for a full adult dose). Now, about five minutes later, he says he's feeling better. I couldn't get him to take my son's inhaler. I suspect the chest tightness and trouble getting a full breath are asthma? He's never had an asthma attack.

Ok. So anaphylaxis to me means epi pen (I've got children's but two is an adult dose I believe) and call an ambulance. But I'm confused by the symptoms because I'm seeing no skin issues at all and I'm not sure the swelling he's got (presumably lungs, throat, mouth) is one body system or two? In other words, is this a severe reaction or an anaphylactic one? We live 30 minutes from a hospital but there is an ambulance stationed in our fire department.

He says he's feeling better and the tightness in the throat and chest are less. He's still clearing his throat.

Either way he's going to see an allergist to get his own epi pen. Ugh. But now--what do I do now?

I have two anaphylactic/asthmatic children, and what you described would have me dragging dh to the car/calling an ambulance and getting him to an emergency dept. somewhere.

I'm confused by the symptoms because I'm seeing no skin issues at all and I'm not sure the swelling he's got (presumably lungs, throat, mouth) is one body system or two? In other words, is this a severe reaction or an anaphylactic one?

Another thought - these are all internal reactions he is having, as opposed to external (skin hives). The internal reactions (no matter how many body systems are involved and no matter what the reaction is called) are a big problem.

ETA: I don't mean to sound so scary, but thoughts keep coming to me so I keep posting.

Please let us know what you decide to do and how he does! Hugs.

My husband is quite a bit better (he's says throat and breathing a 9 now) but I'm trying to talk him into having a good friend drive him to the ER. I do not want him to drive himself and my ASD son is asleep so I can't pile us all in to go. I'm thinking send them with epi pens and have them sit there for a couple of hours to make sure he doesn't go biphasic without help? Our ER stinks with anaphylaxis but at least he'd be there if things go worse.

Edited by sbgrace

My ASD son is asleep. He's quite a bit better (he's says throat and breathing a 9 now) but I'm trying to talk my husband into having a good friend drive him to the ER. I do not want him to drive himself. I'm thinking send them with epi pens and have them sit there for a couple of hours to make sure he doesn't go biphasic without help? Our ER stinks with anaphylaxis but at least he'd be there if things go worse.

What does he think the allegen is? Depending on that he might need dosing over the next 24 hours. I'd still send him to the ER.

What does he think the allegen is? Depending on that he might need dosing over the next 24 hours. I'd still send him to the ER.

The allergen is definitely buckwheat. He's much better now and we're at least 45 minutes out so at this point I'm mostly concerned about biphasic, right?

My husband is quite a bit better (he's says throat and breathing a 9 now) but I'm trying to talk him into having a good friend drive him to the ER. I do not want him to drive himself and my ASD son is asleep so I can't pile us all in to go. I'm thinking send them with epi pens and have them sit there for a couple of hours to make sure he doesn't go biphasic without help? Our ER stinks with anaphylaxis but at least he'd be there if things go worse.

What about calling an ambulance anyway? Just so the paramedics can at least evaluate him and maybe *they* can talk him into going to the ER.

I think I almost have him convinced to go. I called his friend who said he'd take him. So...what can the ER do? What do I want the ER to do? From my son's experience I think he needs to know what to ask for.

- They can keep an eye on him for a few hours

- They can check his blood pressure and other vital signs periodically

- They can listen to his lungs for any wheezing, and give him a puffer if needed

- They can check his blood oxygen levels

- They can give him epinephrine if needed

- They can put a breathing tube down his throat if it swells up again

- They can give him treatment for shock/blood pressure drop

Glad you are convincing him to go! :grouphug: