Menu

Language Arts Curriculum

Hottater

Still trying to make sure I have every base covered for my Language arts, but am getting SOO confused.

My son has used ETC through book 3 (we have the books through level 8). And, now he has Spelling WorkOut A. I feel like maybe he should goto another level. Although some things are considered busy work to some people, --with SWO we have used vocab lists with definitions while using it as a spelling book. Then, there is the incorporation of a word into a sentence, which my son has to write. That's a first. I talked to a friend, and she says she gives vocab words everyday, not just spelling words. And, she uses Spelling Power - which I also have but never have used. I am confused about overlap, but want to start with something strong that my son will use well. He still gets confused sometimes when to use some combinations and rules. After looking at All about spelling, I LOVE the approach. But, don't think I can shell out the $$, cause I already invested in these other programs.

Anyways, on the whole, shouldn't there be something that covers everything? Spelling, Grammer, vocabulary with definitions, writing, and reading, dictation, narration? Am I missing something?

Things I have (--and am feeling like I am becoming a curriculum junkie and have maxed out our budget.)

Writing with Ease (1)

A Reason for Handwriting

Spelling Workout A

Spelling Power

Explode the Code (already finished book 1-3)

First Language Lessons (in lesson 29)

Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading (In lesson 127)

Konos

Bob books Finished Kindergarten and other levels.

Tell me if I have all that I need, and what should I not use, to avoid duplicating stuff? BTW, sometimes some of the subjects trudge on, but hey, we have to make due with what we have. I also JUST borrowed WTM from the library, is there a particular chapter I should make sure to read? Oh, and my son isn't in Kindy, he's in 1st grade.

Edited by Hottater

Writing with Ease (1)

A Reason for Handwriting

Spelling Workout A

Spelling Power

Konos

Tell me if I have all that I need, and what should I not use, to avoid duplicating stuff? BTW, sometimes some of the subjects trudge on, but hey, we have to make due with what we have. I also JUST borrowed WTM from the library, is there a particular chapter I should make sure to read?

Ok...*I* would not do SWO *and* Spelling Power. I would probably stick with SWO, although frankly, I wouldn't do a formal spelling at this age.

I would also not do OPGTR *and* ETC...one or the other.

I would probably also not do Bob books. There's nothing wrong them, but I would go with trade books (books you'd find at the library) instead of vocabulary-controlled basal readers.

Do you need both WWE and FLL?

KONOS isn't language arts, so not sure why it's on your list (although I like KONOS very much).

Ok...*I* would not do SWO *and* Spelling Power. I would probably stick with SWO, although frankly, I wouldn't do a formal spelling at this age.

I would probably also not do Bob books. There's nothing wrong them, but I would go with trade books (books you'd find at the library) instead of vocabulary-controlled basal readers.

KONOS isn't language arts, so not sure why it's on your list (although I like KONOS very much).

Does WWE teach grammar, or FLL teach writing? I'm sorry, I'm new to the program myself. I just purchased WWE4 - do I not need FLL4? Or was your comment directed at the OP's age target? Lol.

I agree that you should pick one spelling program. I would only do ETC if you feel your child needs it. My DD did levels 1-6 and, for the most part, it was busy work for her. My DS, however, is benefiting from the extra practice. I used/use OPGTR with both of them.

I don't do a formal vocabulary program with DD and she's in 2nd grade. We talk about words that come up in her reading, and she's starting to learn Latin. She occasionally looks up words in TOG, but that's about it.

We use both FFL and WWE. I skip narration lessons in FFL.

We use Sonlight readers, although we did use some Bob books early on.

You have basically everything you need, and you can always add vocabulary based on reading. There is a lot of duplication for phonics/spelling. I'd continue with OPG, WWE, ARFH (if he needs it), pick EITHER SWO or SP and drop ETC entirely. We didn't do FLL after trying it for some time, because I wanted to focus more on phonics than grammar, but if you want to, you can do it as well. Konos would be fine to use if you're also using other parts as the unit study, otherwise, I say drop that, too.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding... but is he six? I would drop spelling entirely. Work on Phonics and learn to spell those words first. I would also try to combine "dictation" with handwriting, little hands get tired so fast. As for Vocabulary, there is no real need for a formal program right now. Just using new and expressive words in conversation with him will do wonders for his understanding and abilities.

For first grade, I'd pick ONE program for each of these subjects:

phonics (or if reading very well and "finished" with phonics, switch to spelling)

handwriting

composition

grammar

So for phonics, pick OPGTR or ETC, or if you want to do both, alternate days. Do phonics 5 days a week.

For handwriting, ARFH is fine. I'd do it 2 days a week, on the days that you aren't doing writing in WWE.

For composition, use WWE. This involves copywork 3 days a week (initially it's 2 days a week, but around week 4 or 5, it switches to 3 days, I believe).

For grammar, FLL is excellent and very gentle. Do it 3 days a week. You can skip the copywork if you're doing WWE and ARFH.

Go to the library and find good books at various reading levels - both at your child's reading level and well below your child's reading level. Have him read a little bit each day from an at-level book, and have him spend more time reading from below-level books. Pick interesting books - picture books, non-fiction books (lots of science and history readers available), etc. Your library may have a section for beginner readers. Mine has them broken out by grade level, and the books have AR stickers on them (which is helpful).

"Language Arts" doesn't need to be complicated in 1st grade. :) You clearly have everything you need.

Confused about your post and boscopup's post... OPGTR is mostly phonics and reading, and ETC I thought was more of an understanding phonics as it applies to spelling and some of reading comprehension, although, I had dropped some of the reading comprehension segments. Am I wrong?

Edited by Hottater

Maybe I'm misunderstanding... but is he six? I would drop spelling entirely. Work on Phonics and learn to spell those words first.
Isn't that two contradicting statements? SOOoo confused.. He's over halfway through OPGTTR which is close to the end of second grade reading. He is on lesson 126 or 127? read /red/ and read /reed/. So, shouldn't I start spelling at least by now? SWO A --works on all the words which he can already read. But it includes proof reading skills and some writing--That ETC and OPG doesn't have. He can read paragraphs. He's also done ETC 1,2,3 which has worked on words through silent e, th, sh, ch, tch, ai, ay,ee, ea, oa, ow words. The problem of ETC, is that book 3 and 4 have a huge leap in sequencing, it does compound words or suffixes and prefixes before other smaller two letter diagraphs. So I will probably have to jump from books 5,6,7 then back to 4 later. I used OPGTTR and ETC together, because he is a visual learner, and I didn't have to explain a lot, I would use OPGTTR as a spine, and ETC with the same "rule or diagraph" to follow it up. That way, he got the review, but visually. OPGTTR, is too black and white sometimes, but he needs to be able to read well. ETC is very visual, explains the words and applies the formation of the word's spelling in some cases. Neither does 'testing' to see if the kid can spell without a word box list though. That's where I find it so confusing, and possibly so much lacking in both ETC and SWO A. Although, one could say the proofreading skills in SWO A eliminates the need for testing? WWE-- I bought because borders was going out of business, and i had to use 2 gift cards. LOL. But, it is writing. FLL is grammer. I know to drop the writing in FLL, and just use WWE to fill in the writing portion. SWB says to do this in her you tube video. Edited by Hottater

Some of the things you listed would be in a progression and not all at once. Here is how I see it:

K:

A Reason for Handwriting

K/1st (depends on child's skill level):

Spelling Workout A

1st:

Writing with Ease (1)

A Reason for Handwriting

Drop:

Spelling Power

Not sure about this:

Konos

For first grade, I'd pick ONE program for each of these subjects:

phonics (or if reading very well and "finished" with phonics, switch to spelling)

handwriting

composition

grammar

So for phonics, pick OPGTR or ETC, or if you want to do both, alternate days. Do phonics 5 days a week.

For handwriting, ARFH is fine. I'd do it 2 days a week, on the days that you aren't doing writing in WWE.

For composition, use WWE. This involves copywork 3 days a week (initially it's 2 days a week, but around week 4 or 5, it switches to 3 days, I believe).

For grammar, FLL is excellent and very gentle. Do it 3 days a week. You can skip the copywork if you're doing WWE and ARFH.

Go to the library and find good books at various reading levels - both at your child's reading level and well below your child's reading level. Have him read a little bit each day from an at-level book, and have him spend more time reading from below-level books. Pick interesting books - picture books, non-fiction books (lots of science and history readers available), etc. Your library may have a section for beginner readers. Mine has them broken out by grade level, and the books have AR stickers on them (which is helpful).

"Language Arts" doesn't need to be complicated in 1st grade. :) You clearly have everything you need.

Where is the bow down smiley to your orderliness? Bravo! The only problem with arfh is that it's a 4-5 day approach. And, since you said being done with phonics before switching to spelling... Do you mean finish all OPGTTR or ETC before doing any SWO or SP?

Yvonne

Edited by Hottater

Writing with Ease (1)

A Reason for Handwriting

Spelling Workout A

Spelling Power

Konos

Tell me if I have all that I need, and what should I not use, to avoid duplicating stuff? BTW, sometimes some of the subjects trudge on, but hey, we have to make due with what we have. I also JUST borrowed WTM from the library, is there a particular chapter I should make sure to read?

Okay, I have a dd who is a few months younger than your ds. She is my last homeschooled child, and he is your first so this makes a difference in the level of time/attention/"worry" (for lack of a better word) that I put into her formal education at this age.

I am using Bob books (just finishing up the last set). After that, we will move onto Sonlight readers for kindergarten and other beginning reader books.

She completed with A Reason for Handwriting last year. Her handwriting needs some work, but some of that is just developmental and I am not pushing handwriting.

She does ETC 1 currently and will work through the other books. This provides the phonice, spelling and handwriting. I have Spelling Workout A but decided to wait until later this year or even next year to begin it. We are working through FLL 1. I will wait until next year to start WWE 1. It is a pretty intense program, and I think it is best started in first grade. FLL has some reading comprehension/poetry memorization/etc. so it is pretty comprehensive.

She's happy and learning and loves school. :001_smile: Hope that helps. I would encourage you that you don't have to break out all stops in kindergarten. Have fun. Read some fun readalouds to your son. (We are doing Pippi Longstocking currently.) Play in the mud.:001_smile: ETA: I was reading this from a kindy perspective. Take what you need and leave the rest. But still, have fun! :D

Edited by texasmama

Okay, I have a dd who is a few months younger than your ds. She is my last homeschooled child, and he is your first so this makes a difference in the level of time/attention/"worry" (for lack of a better word) that I put into her formal education at this age.

I am using Bob books (just finishing up the last set). After that, we will move onto Sonlight readers for kindergarten and other beginning reader books.

She completed with A Reason for Handwriting last year. Her handwriting needs some work, but some of that is just developmental and I am not pushing handwriting.

She does ETC 1 currently and will work through the other books. This provides the phonice, spelling and handwriting. I have Spelling Workout A but decided to wait until later this year or even next year to begin it. We are working through FLL 1. I will wait until next year to start WWE 1. It is a pretty intense program, and I think it is best started in first grade. FLL has some reading comprehension/poetry memorization/etc. so it is pretty comprehensive.

She's happy and learning and loves school. :001_smile: Hope that helps. I would encourage you that you don't have to break out all stops in kindergarten. Have fun. Read some fun readalouds to your son. (We are doing Pippi Longstocking currently.) Play in the mud.:001_smile: ETA: I was reading this from a kindy perspective. Take what you need and leave the rest. But still, have fun! :D

Sorry, I think that a lot of you assume he's in K. He's not--he's in 1st grade according to the state. And, he's already done Abeka Pre k 3 yr, K4, and K5.

So... not to say that I shouldn't take it easy on him, since he's still only 6, but-- I am not one to go backwards by dropping something that he should progress on.

Some of the things you listed would be in a progression and not all at once. Here is how I see it:

K:

A Reason for Handwriting

K/1st (depends on child's skill level):

Spelling Workout A

1st:

Writing with Ease (1)

A Reason for Handwriting

Drop:

Spelling Power

Not sure about this:

Konos

Oh, I should add, that DS finished the first 15 lessons of ARFH Transition book which I think is ARFH B equivalent. I am thinking about 4 more lessons, and then just doing the "transition lessons" for cursive.

SWO A seems too easy for him, for some things, but he needs the "practice" in others. Like, ETC (1-3) already covered most of what's in SWO A, except for the proof reading skills and writing a sentence. Should I just hit all the review lessons? And then buy SWO B? Or, just use Spelling power?

Sorry, I think that a lot of you assume he's in K. He's not--he's in 1st grade according to the state. And, he's already done Abeka Pre k 3 yr, K4, and K5.

So... not to say that I shouldn't take it easy on him, since he's still only 6, but-- I am not one to go backwards by dropping something that he should progress on.

That is why I added my ETA regarding this. I was unclear from the original post what grade level he was in.

It may seem a little overkill, but with my second grader I use:

WWE Level 2 (just started)

FLL - once or twice a week 2-3 lessons at a time since I am still using the original combined 1/2 book.

ETC Book 4- 2 pages every day

OPGTR- about 3 times a week

CLE Book 106 - about 3 times a week - this is the book where spelling starts and there were only five words.

Bob Books Set 3 - when we go out in the car he reads me one on the trip out and one on the trip home - they are just for practice.

TOG Writing Aids - about 2 times per week.

I own Spelling Power and I intend to start using it with him for 3rd grade, but I love CLE and since it includes spelling I may end up just letting Spelling Power sit. I used it with both of my older kids.