Menu

Profanity?

I am not really interested in being "lady-like" by the parameters of certain individuals. I would rather be "quite a lady" to my husband than "lady-like" to others.

My grandmother was also not "lady-like" but she did more in her life than many could do in ten.

I don't find blanket judgments to be "classy" or a sign of an educated person.

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1995258,00.html

Until recently, vulgar outbursts were often cleaned up before they were reported to the public. Jack Garner, Franklin D. Roosevelt's Vice President from 1933 to 1941, once said the job of VP was "not worth a pitcher of warm ****." In news reports, however, his last word was often changed to spit. After the recording of interviews and speeches became an everyday occurrence, word substitution largely vanished and political discourse was never the same. In 1973, journalist Merle Miller published a collection of taped conversations and interviews with Harry S. Truman, in which the deceased former President was quoted calling General MacArthur a "dumb son of a *****."

Edited by Sis

Here's my take on the issue of bad language: there is no such thing as bad language. There's only bad, or poor judgment, about when and how to use language.

It's all about conveying your message. Being "lady-like" or "gentlemanly" has nothing to do with it. You can be the friggin' Church Lady and never use a "cuss" word in your life, and be absolutely classless.

Conversely, dropping the occasional, perfectly timed expletive can raise your social value exponentially, and help avoid an unmannerly self-implosion, and subsequent death-by-excessive-propriety.

You can call me un-ladylike for selectively availing myself of all of the English (and some French) language. But they call it "adult language" for a reason--and I'm an adult woman. ;) Not a child to be chided for failing to "act like a lady."

Lewis Black has a wonderful dissertation on the question of profanity here. (Warning: here be wit, sarcasm, and yes, some profanity.)

I use profanity occasionally, using when I am in pain or find it suitable to the occasion.

I don't understand the idea that using profanity/cursing etc implies that the person using it somehow lacks the words, creativity or the education necessary to express themselves without the profanity. How can usage of profanity demonstrate ignorance solely on grounds of usage or even frequent usage? Ignorance of what exactly? (I am actually asking this question seriously, not snarky at all.) Doesn't this argument run into problems when reading some great (or at least highly complex, well-written) literature that contains profanity? Or talking to some amazing thinkers who use profanity? The humor that has the foundation in using deliberately chosen vulgar words to make points? I agree that vulgar language is overused in everyday, public life and I would love for people to have a greater sense of decorum. That being said, it seems that people who use a profanity meter to judge creativity or one's capability with the language are hiding behind a very faulty criteria set.

I may not like people using profanity but I don't see the correlation between mere usage and language proficiency, in fact, many of the best writers and speakers I personally know use profanity frequently in casual conversation. Does this mean I disregard their skills simply because of swearing over dinner? I don't understand this argument. I always find that this sort of argument reeks of snobbery, as though saying that non-swearers have a better handle on language than swearers. This seems a false correlation. Is it not better to say that one does not agree with the choice of language, finds it offensive or unfitting for public, classless, or some other explanation for disapproval?

Edited by lula