Menu

How to shop for this body shape?

I am 5' 3.75", 143-ish lbs., waist is 31 1/2 - 32 in. & my hips are about 38 in. I have a large bust that DID NOT go down with weight loss :glare:

I was blessed with a $35 Walmart gift card recently (huge blessing :D) and was having a little trouble in the pant area. I ended up getting a size 8 average and a size 8 petite (okay, we found two pairs of jeans that scanned as $1 but the tags said $10 but they only made us pay $1, another blessing!) The petite is the perfect length for me but it's a bit tighter in the waist area than the average. Also, the 8s fit my hips, but are a bit tight in the waist area. When standing, you can't tell, but when sitting, pudge hangs over.

Every site I look at, when I go to their size chart and look under 32" waist, it says my hips should be 42-43" and if I look under 38" hips, it says my waist should be 26 1/2 in.

Clothes shopping is frustrating with my shape. For now, I'm happy with the 8s, except when I'm sitting in them :tongue_smilie: They are mid-rise.

What sites would you suggest, for window shopping and hopefully sometime, actual shopping :001_smile:

I would try pants with some stretch. Even 1% can be helpful. Also you might look at junior sizes. IIRC misses size are designed for smaller waist, larger hips. Here's some online junior sizes. http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=junior+jeans&ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=0

Also try everything on in the store. I find that when I'm buying from someplace like Walmart, there can be a lot of difference in two identical products of the same size.

Another tip is if you can visit multiple Walmarts do so. I've found stock to vary greatly even in stores in the same city. What's on sale can be different, as well as what items they carry.

I have a similar shape in that the difference between my waist and hips measurements is smaller than the "normal" proportion. Also, I need petite inseams but I need a tall rise (my waist is farther from the crotch of the pants than is petite pants allow for). I've had good luck with these from Old Navy: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=7520&vid=1&pid=675504&scid=675504002. I buy them in Tall and then hem the pants so they're petite. The pants themselves are also higher-rise and are "straight through hip and thigh."

Another option is to look for pants cut like trousers and buy them to fit your waist. That may help with the hips being too large since I've found that trousers don't closely follow the contour of the hip and thigh, so you won't find it to be so awkward to have obvious extra fabric around the hips (don't know if I'm explaining clearly). Maybe like this: http://www.nyandcompany.com/nyco/browse/productDetailWithPicker.jsp?productId=prod4370057&categoryId=cat790030&FLCat=cat1890008&productId=prod4370057&categoryId=cat790030&addFacet=1002%3Acat790030 The price may not be right but the cut looks good.

HTH!

The issue is that you have more of a rectangle body shape (meaning your waist does not curve in) and pants are cut for women with hourglass figures. When I look at my waist measurement alone, I am supposedly 4 clothing sizes larger than I actually wear - and I have a flat and toned stomach! I just don't have any waist curves ;).

What will help is two things:

1. Low waist pants (not super low, but definitely nothing with a high rise - stick with 'midrise' and no higher)

2. Take them to a tailor and ask for the waist to be let out a bit (alternately, buy pants to fit your waist and get them tailored at the hip/leg).

When you have a body type out of proportion to the fashion standard (which is a problem for basically all women) then the solution is tailoring b/c you will not find a perfect pair of fitting clothes on the shelves inexpensively (most likely).

I am 5' 3.75", 143-ish lbs., waist is 31 1/2 - 32 in. & my hips are about 38 in. I have a large bust that DID NOT go down with weight loss :glare:

Oh, please don't say this. I've lost almost 30 pounds. I've gone down almost 3 sizes in my pants but barely one size in my top. I am really counting on that weight up top coming off eventually. It's so frustrating! :glare:

I'm watching this thread because I think I'm going to have the same problem once my weight is off.