Menu

Need some ideas for audio books

Heading to visit family and we will be in the car for 18 hours (9 hours each way) and I need some ideas for audio books we can take along with us - something appropriate for a four year old as well as two adults. We just listened to Chronicles of Narnia on the last trip, but we are totally open to other suggestions!

You'll want to include Hank the Cow Dog for the times when you're ready for a good hearty laugh.

Hank is our all-time audiobook favorite. Reading the books just isn't as much fun as listening to them.

Other favorites include:

Socks (Beverly Cleary)

Frindle (Andrew Clements)

Room One (Clements)

Ruby Holler (Creech)

The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks (can't remember author)

Bud, Not Buddy (Curtis)

If you have an MP3 type player and your library subscribes to NetLibrary and/or OverDrive that will expand your choices.

Cinder

Heading to visit family and we will be in the car for 18 hours (9 hours each way) and I need some ideas for audio books we can take along with us - something appropriate for a four year old as well as two adults. We just listened to Chronicles of Narnia on the last trip, but we are totally open to other suggestions!

Hank the Cowdog (even my dh likes this)

Anything by Jim Weiss - he does have stories for younger children.

Ms. Frisby and Rats of Nimh

Magic Tree House

Box Car Children

Charlotte's Web

Hank the Cowdog (even my dh likes this)

Anything by Jim Weiss - he does have stories for younger children.

Ms. Frisby and Rats of Nimh

Magic Tree House

Box Car Children

Charlotte's Web

We are listening to Charlotte's Web this week - dd loves it.

Winnie the Pooh, and The House at Pooh Corner, read by Alan Bennet. We all still love them.

Laura

We've listened to Jim Broadbent's version of Pooh, but I checked the local library and they have Bennet's, so we'll be trying that out as well!

Thanks for the recommendations!

My favorite audio books (and my son's as well) are Charlotte's Web read by EB White himself and Cricket in Times Square read by Renee Auberjonois.

Three Tales of My Father's Dragon is also available in audio format and is well done.

Susan

ds (7)

Please keep going! We have read or listened to almost all of the selections mentioned so far, and I need some more also!

My additions to the list would be:

Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper

Long Way from Chicago

Series of Unfortunate Events

I just can't stand those audios - LOL. I put up with them with my first child but with subsequent children I have pretended they don't exist.

I have found, on longer trips that songs (Raffi, Joe Skruggs) are wonderful for younger kids. We also listen to Winnie the Pooh and many Jim Weiss recordings that are fine for younger kids. Greek Myths has been a favorite, as is the Jungle Book from Jim Weiss.

Charlotte's Web, Cricket in Times Square, and Stuart Little are also fine audios for younger kids.