Menu

Foreign Films

My favourite that I haven't seen mentioned yet is 'The Concert' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1320082/

In Russian and French. Amazing movie, funny, poignant.

We also just watched 'Joyeux Noel' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424205/ which was a good movie about christmas eve in WWI when the German, French & Scottish soldiers declared a truce and celebrated together.

Bon Voyage is a crazy really well done movie (kind of a modern Mad Mad World)

The Butterfly

Ushpizin (nothing inappropriate but I think you need to be at least 12-13 to appreciate it)

The Chorus

Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles (Probably the most beautiful movie I've ever seen - nothing inappropriate for kids, but you need to be a teen to appreciate it)

The Story of the Weeping Camel is an awesome documentary

Adults

And I loved A Really Long Engagement (definitely not for kids)

The Band's Visit (also not for kids)

Truly Madly Deeply (for adults, it's a little weird in the beginning but I really ended up liking it)

Ditto on the Miyazaki. My kids LOVE Spirited Away in particular. But they're all pretty good.

We watch a LOT of chinese and japanese movies. Most of them are action. I can't even think of the names off the top of my head, just that we've been seeing a whole lot of them... (You know you have been watching a lot of them when you walk by the 'Foreign Flix' in the mall and the movie showing on the screen is one you recognize! :lol: ) I can't say I've watched a whole lot of foreign outside of that, I tried watching The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and nearly vomited about 30 minutes in. It was absolutely awful, just too much for me to handle.

So yeah, we stick with Chinese/Japanese here most of the time. Whether its action movies or anime, that's most of what you'll find in the foreign department at our house... ;)

Together

Not One Less

The Road Home

Children of Heaven (Iran)

Babies (has some nudity, but this is in the context of the culture)

Milo and Otis (1986 Japanese version, much better than the English remake)

We did NOT like Baran and we did not like aspects of The Colour of Paradise, but that's part of watching foreign films, yes?

There was another foreign film that was awful, but now I can't remember the title. :confused: