Menu

Cat is wheezy.. What's wrong?

Hey Everyone :)

My 9 year old cat is wheezy. Best cat ever, and I brought home the new kitty. Since November, it's been one thing after another. Basically she has something that can't be kicked with antibiotics, the homeopathic meds I tried... good food... it's crazy! My "kitty" that I brought home was sick. He ended up just fine, although a bit of a runny nose sometimes... but basically just fine. But, my big cat just can't get all the way well. (Oh yes, I tried Anti-virals, too)

She is wheezing, although not coughing anymore... and when she breathes... there is this sound that it makes... (through her nose)

The vet said that the next thing would be to "flush her lungs".... (oh yes, we did an x-ray of her lungs which looked a bit asthmatic. I have to say, I don't have a fortune to spend on this.... It's already been quite a bit ;(

Suggestions??:bigear::bigear:

Hey Everyone :)

My 9 year old cat is wheezy. Best cat ever, and I brought home the new kitty. Since November, it's been one thing after another. Basically she has something that can't be kicked with antibiotics, the homeopathic meds I tried... good food... it's crazy! My "kitty" that I brought home was sick. He ended up just fine, although a bit of a runny nose sometimes... but basically just fine. But, my big cat just can't get all the way well. (Oh yes, I tried Anti-virals, too)

She is wheezing, although not coughing anymore... and when she breathes... there is this sound that it makes... (through her nose)

The vet said that the next thing would be to "flush her lungs".... (oh yes, we did an x-ray of her lungs which looked a bit asthmatic. I have to say, I don't have a fortune to spend on this.... It's already been quite a bit ;(

Suggestions??:bigear::bigear:

You might look into lysine for her - it's used for respiratory infections in cats and I use it whenever my cat starts to get watery eyes or starts sneezing. They do have cat formulated lysine that's a flavored paste, but I suspect the powdered people version is less expensive (that's what I use - sprinkle it on her food). If you do a Google search on lysine and cats, you'll find a lot of info, and it might be worth a try before you spend hundreds of dollars at the vet.

Steroids are incredibly cheap- like $3 for a month supply or something like that. I also had a cat with asthma. His was intermittent so we never did anything for it. But if it had gotten worse, I would have tried steroids for him.

Wow, thanks!! I was super afraid of how much it was! I've spent so much... and only have... (probably) because of the fact that I "brought home" the sickness :(