Menu

Do we have an NCAA "expert" here?

I know if our student plans to compete at the college level, especially division 1 and 2, we have to get them on the registry and such. Is it only division 1 and 2? What if they go to a division 3 school?

DD had just recently said something that sounds like she wants to be a walk-on. If she's at a division 3 school, no problem. But at that point, since there would be no recruitment, would she have needed to be registered to actually make the team? She mentioned cross country, which is not the sport she actually does right now.

Help!

New this year is registration and approval for students competing for NAIA schools. The process is similar but easier than NCAA. I have had experience with both NCAA DI and NAIA and it is not that hard. Easier, imo, than getting approval to compete for the local public school in FL.

I agree that the people at the NCAA are very helpful. Never had to call NAIA but they are slow to process paperwork and will not give early approval to homeschoolers....ugh. Hopefully that will change--this is the first year that they are determining eligibility.

No clearance for D3, at least in our experience. D1 has the most stringent requirements, D2 a bit lighter, and D3 was nothing. It is because D3 cannot offer athletic scholarships in any sport.

If your dc are great at academics and sports, D3 is a good fit. Many D3s have very a competitive admissions process.

I was a walk-on for track at a division I school. I was never treated as well even when I made more points for the team. Almost like I was on my own. I heard the same for others.

From the kids or the coaches? I wonder how the kids knew? Of course I went to a D3 school so no one was there on scholarship. You were the best because you earned it.

All the schools she is looking at so far are D1 schools, NCAA too.

The coaches, and yes, they all knew. They knew because the walk-ons don't get treated the same. They weren't pursued for the team. The hotshots got pampered a lot more. It depends on why you want to do it. I really loved doing triple jump so it didn't matter. I am sure it varies from school to school and sport to sport. ime, the long distance programs - the coaches seemed to be a lot more easy going :) Maybe all that long distance running LOL.

I was a walk-on for track at a division I school. I was never treated as well even when I made more points for the team. Almost like I was on my own. I heard the same for others.

This is I think the same everywhere. There's a book by a walk on:

http://www.amazon.com/Walk--LIFE-BENCH-Alan-Williams/dp/0976729601/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1316378561&sr=8-10

In Tom Wolfe's I Am Charlotte Simmons the walk on are described as "floaties" partly because they help raise the team GPA.

However, the addition to your resume can be the opposite. Admission to graduate school, jobs, etc may be overly impressed by Division I athletics.