Menu

Yes, I'm a spoil sport

I like fireworks, really I do. But it's still ten days until the official start of Chinese New Year and the fireworks have begun already. They'll be going until past midnight for the next two weeks or so. They are being let off in the condo courtyard and on neighbouring roofs.

Grump over.

Laura

and thus, when she died just before sunset on 4th of July, missing her last volley of fireworks, I thought "how a propos" and then thought that that was just the thing she would have said, too.

My sympathy. At least you don't have a dog that pees and tears the carpet when it happens (or perhaps you do).

Yes, I can relate. In my neighborhood the 4th of July is celebrated with fireworks 2-3 weeks. It drives me absolutely nuts--there are kids unsupervised with fireworks everywhere. I am always afraid one of them will get hurt, and always afraid one of MINE will get hurt just walking down the block with me. The day itself is unbelievable--the fireworks get really elaborate. I always fear a car will be harmed or someone will get hurt. Many years we just go to dh's parents and wait it out there, but that's only the 4th itself. The rest of the long weeeeeks of explosions just have to be endured.

They just love industrial fireworks here. You see the wooden crates littering the streets the next day. They even put them in the recycling bins and the whole thing explodes and there is a mess of glass everywhere. It is so lovely and quiet here during the day but night-times can really make you jumpy. No special occasion necessary it seems.

We used to have this problem in Liverpool but they really cracked down on the traders. The fireworks disappeared overnight. We were really impressed at how effective it was.

We live in a fireworks friendly neighborhood, too. The difference is that we love it. And we add to the commotion ourselves. Most people are sane and careful with each other and with property.

Fortunately it is seasonal, so once the 4th and New Year's Eve is over, things quieten down. I wouldn't miss the show for anything. Too spectacular!

I hope you can endure until the celebrations slow down.