Menu

Horse people: What's wrong with my horse???

Our horse looks like he is drugged. What could be wrong with him?

His eyes are droopy, super droopy, and he's acting a bit loopy, a bit drowsy. (I need to confirm that impression with my dd.) We can't find anything else wrong with him. He's eating, drinking, making tummy noises, standing up, walking around, doesn't feel hot, no mucas coming out of his nose, isn't acting in pain.

My dd seems very worried, and she isn't usually a worrier. She and my other dd have total care of the horses, so I don't feel very qualified to make an assessment.

Can a horse have a stroke? Could he have eaten something weird? Do I need to call out a vet right away or should I wait it out a bit?

Can you give me a rough estimate of how much water he has drunk?

Did he get into the grain a substantially larger than normal serving of grain? If he is grained, check it to see if it has a musty smell or looks dusty...lighter colored...all signs of fungus.

Has he recently been wormed? Iverectin? There is a parasite here in the midwest (forgot the name) that has been in abnormally high numbers due to soil conditions. Some horses are getting belly aches after worming (eyes look dull due to discomfort) because they are having trouble passing so much at one time.

Does he favor a side, fail to pick his hooves up as much as usual when walking, shudder or pace?

Has he recently been vaccinated?

Faith

Is the food spoiled? Could he have gotten into anything fermented?

(I am not a horse person).

No, he's been grazing. No fruit in the pasture. No grain.

Sent from my phone. Does he get turned out? Could he have gotten access to a poisonus plant? How hot is it outside? If you cannot find anything that he could have ingested I would go ahead and call the vet. At least start with a phone consult.

Yes, he's been turned out. I don't think there is anything poisonous in his pasture. The only big danger around here is tansy, and there is none in that pasture. And when our horse has been around it, he's never been interested in it.

It hasn't been too hot compared to some parts of the country, but warm for our area: 80 degrees or so.

Can you give me a rough estimate of how much water he has drunk?

Did he get into the grain a substantially larger than normal serving of grain? If he is grained, check it to see if it has a musty smell or looks dusty...lighter colored...all signs of fungus.

Has he recently been wormed? Iverectin? There is a parasite here in the midwest (forgot the name) that has been in abnormally high numbers due to soil conditions. Some horses are getting belly aches after worming (eyes look dull due to discomfort) because they are having trouble passing so much at one time.

Does he favor a side, fail to pick his hooves up as much as usual when walking, shudder or pace?

Has he recently been vaccinated?

Faith

I don't know how much water he's had, but he seems to be drinking in the usual fashion. Hasn't had grain lately. He was wormed around 6 weeks ago: the gold box whatever that one is!

We are in the PNW. My dd will head out to the pasture for a little poo inspection. Offhand, she doesn't think he's had greater volume lately...maybe less.

He is not picking his hooves as much as usual. He doesn't seem to be shuddering or getting tremulous. She tried giving him a little lunge work, and he did cough a bit after that. It does seem that his nose is running after all, as are his eyes.

He has not been vaccinated in a while.

Thanks for your help, all. I'm pretty clueless, so I appreciate all your expertise.

This may sound a bit crazy, but has he lost an animal friend of any kind lately? We had a horse get depressed, yes, depressed when our other horse went somewhere for a short time. Sounds just like you described. We were so worried we finally called the vet. Nothing wrong! I hope it is that simple for you.

Susie in SWVA

Has he been off your place in the last few weeks or had contact with other horses? There are some nasty viruses going around-they can even be spread by birds traveling from place to place.

Is the nose clear runny or snotty runny?

His behavior is a pain indicator so I would suspect a mild colic more than anything right now. He can make gut sounds even with a mild colic.

Temp?

Could he fuss with another horse in the pasture and get kicked?

It's hard to track things down that he could have eaten in the pasture but it's always possible.

Could he have choked on his grain? They just carry a choke, it's not up or down, you could maybe feel a lump in his throat that you could gently massage to break it up. Don't stick the hose in his mouth, just massage the lump.

Could he have choked on his grain? They just carry a choke, it's not up or down, you could maybe feel a lump in his throat that you could gently massage to break it up. Don't stick the hose in his mouth, just massage the lump.

I never knew this!

OP, I hope it gets figured out! Poor horse! I would suggest a call to the vet. He sounds miserable!

Nasal discharge, mild cough after workout, eye discharge, this sounds viral to me but it's always possible that it is bacterial.

I don't suspect colic/gastrointesinal because it's unlikely that he would be a willing participant in lunging if he had belly pain.

The pollen count is just HUGE in many parts of the country and our equine vet says she's seeing horse developing irritation from seasonal allergies. This is a very bad year for people and pets in this regard. So, it's possible that he is experiencing a reaction from inhaled pollen.

Faith

Nasal discharge, mild cough after workout, eye discharge, this sounds viral to me but it's always possible that it is bacterial.

I don't suspect colic/gastrointesinal because it's unlikely that he would be a willing participant in lunging if he had belly pain.

The pollen count is just HUGE in many parts of the country and our equine vet says she's seeing horse developing irritation from seasonal allergies. This is a very bad year for people and pets in this regard. So, it's possible that he is experiencing a reaction from inhaled pollen.

Faith

:iagree:He sounds sick. Poor guy. Is he getting any iodized salt? You may want to add a touch to his feed.

IME they will move through a mild gas colic and it can be difficult to see unwillingness with an inexperienced eye. I worked at an equine surgical center and we walked and trotted colicky horses all the time and it can be hard to tell. Especially early stage or gas colics.

I also can agree with the pollen problems, I think I had the same thing yesterday!

IME they will move through a mild gas colic and it can be difficult to see unwillingness with an inexperienced eye. I worked at an equine surgical center and we walked and trotted colicky horses all the time and it can be hard to tell. Especially early stage or gas colics.

I also can agree with the pollen problems, I think I had the same thing yesterday!

I thought lack of gut sounds, or too long a time between them, was what is looked for with colic?

I walked my horse for two hours and gave him a HUGE soup pot filled with warm water and molasses. The molasses made him finally move - A LOT.

My horse ate around 100 lbs of grain that day. The pony got some but all the poop in the center aisle told me the horse got most of it.

It's definitely something to listen for but it's not entirely conclusive. A gas colic is different from an impaction colic also, unless the gut is already twisted. We also didn't always use the walking method... or always withhold feed or give feed! lol It was a case by case though we always put them on fluids, gave banamine, and when they did eat it was a warm senior mash until systems were normal. Usually by the time they were at our place they were surgery-bound. I've rinsed MILES of equine gut!

100#! Holy cow! Did he get laminitis afterward?