Menu

How to add fun?

I think I'm missing the fun in our days a bit. Since I teach flute and piano out of the home, I tend to stay very structured to make sure everything gets done. I'm a list maker and I love knowing things are getting checked off and I find that just playing around makes me feel like I'm not getting anything accomplished.

How can I keep some element of fun to our days in the middle school? I think it was easy for me at the elementary level because I know that young children learn through play. I really hate being serious all the time with my older, but I don't know how to counteract that.

So...how do you add fun with the olders? If you are like me and need to have that list checked off, how have you managed to change yourself a bit? I used to be a fun person, but as I'm getting older, I'm getting much more serious and not necessarily in a good way. Help!

One game I've added this year is a vocab game with our word for the day. There's a little luck involved, so the oldest kids don't always win. Every day, I pick a "word for the day". I tell them a sentence that uses the word, and they each write down what they think the word means. Anyone who "nails" the definition gets a little treat. (They have a section in their notebooks to copy down the words/definitions.) Every 2 or 3 days, we play a game on the white board with all the words for the day. I picked 3 different colors of paper and cut them into strips and wrote a word on each strip. -Words on green =10 pts., words on yellow = 20 points, words on orange = 30 points. I glued the strips to larger black strips, and added magnetic tape so the colored side sticks to the board. Then, I put the black strips in rows and added numbers along the top and letters along the side like a line graph. I added a bonus card worth 20 pts. and lose 10 points card just for fun. Each kid picks a black card (with the color/word hidden) calling out "A, 3" for example. If they can tell me the definition of the word, they get the points for that color/card. There's a little luck involved that makes it a little more fun. The younger 2 can ask for a sentence with the word, but the older 2 have to "buy" a sentence with 1/2 the points it's worth if they need one. Yesterday, my 8 year old won. They love it, and it really helps to cement that vocabulary in their brains!

Another idea, I added "punch cards" this year (http://rainbowresource.com/product/sku/015995/573c56e1a17206939b21a7ba

and every time they get 100 on a test, or memorize a new poem, etc. I punch out a star. When all the stars are punched they get a reward. (Reward can be any of the following: treasure chest surprise, ipod app, no chores day, skip 1 subject for the day, etc.). They love the punch cards!

HTH! :001_smile:

I am much like the OP where I have a list that I feel must be checked off, and tend more towards the serious side. But I want school to be fun and I think it is important. So I scheduled in fun. Each day of the week has a theme: mental Mondays are not really fun, but makes me feel assured we are wellmon the road to getting things done. we have "Tea" is for Tuesdays when we drink tea and read poetry out loud and discuss. This is followed by drawing. We do this on Tuesday afternoons when it replaces Science and History. We then have Wacky Wednesdays, where we something that day in a wacky way, e.g. Jumping around the house on one foot singing a wacky song each time we finish the subject. On Thursday mornings, DD has a golf lesson with her Dad. And then we have fun-filled Fridays when we do LOF for math, watch a movie in French, play Wii Brain, work on art projects for history, etc.

Scheduling in the fun has been a huge help for both of us. I don't have to think about it and DD has something to look forward to and share at the dinner table that night. HTH

You can have fun with your regular curricula in a variety of ways...

We sometimes take one math problem, and on a white board, see who can do it the quickest. We make funky posters with our vocab words. With the Story of Science Scientists speak, we have them say "modern" things that are totally out of sync with their time. This just cracks us up!

Write up the math problems for the day and hide them around the house instead of doing them in the text, same with any workbook.

At this age, there is so much they can do! I believe that in middle school fun should be productive fun. They should be energetic about creating or learning something and it doesn't necessarily have to be parent-directed.

What subjects are you studying this year? It might help you to get some creative ideas from some who have done the same topics.

My son has appreciated a lot more computer use this year - instead of every report written, he designed some as powerpoint presentations and some as mini cartoons. We have him complete an experiment and then test a new hypothesis he comes up with himself. We go off on tangents, setting aside time for them after the subject.

I'm with Lily-Grace. For us it's a combo of getting things out of the box (doing stuff on the computer, doing a project instead of a workbook, etc.) and getting out of the HOUSE. We're taking 4 classes with a co-op, joining the homeschool band, etc. Their social needs are greater than their academic at this age, so when they say they're bored, they really mean they want to hang out with friends.

We have fun with hands on activities. Most weeks that means science labs and art lessons. This week, the girls put together paper models of Jamestown for history. They also enjoy playing online geography games. When my 5th grader finishes reading Swiss Family Robinson, we'll borrow the Disney movie from the library and eat popcorn while we watch it.

Lunch

We work hard till lunchtime and each week we have a special day where we either eat out or go pick up a special lunch.

Trip to the library in the middle of the day. Fun and school at the same time (usually picking up books on a current subject being studied)

I also try to plan special things after school so my son has something to look forward to.

We're lucky that this year all of my curriculum choices have been winners. Ds is genuinely interested and motivated to do all of his subjects. I did add more computer time. Ds is using Rosetta Stone for Spanish, K12 for history, and brainpop.com to supplement various areas. We're also lucky to have to a homeschoolers' park day on Wednesdays, which is something fun to look forward to in the middle of week.

Marilyn

Fun Curriculum/Books

- Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings

- Whatever Happened to Penny Candy -- basic economics

- Are You Liberal, Conservative, or Confused -- basic political parties and types of government

- How to Be Your Own Selfish Pig -- beginning worldview

- Fallacy Detective -- intro to logic (focuses on fallacies)

- science kits/experiments/hands-on (TOPS units are good at this age)

- download free software and create a short movie or animation (I-Movie or Blender or other), or compose music (Garage Band)

- learned a lot of well-known adages (ex: "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush") by playing it like wheel of fortune -- rolled dice for the $$ amount -- we multiplied by 100 -- (but you could turn a game spinner into a wheel!), then guessed the letters (I had a series of blanks on the white board and would fill them in); we then briefly talked about the meaning of the adage

"Go Along" Documentaries/Movies

I regularly scheduled documentaries or feature films to go along with the time period/culture we were studying. I also matched up NOVA or Mythbusters episodes when I could to go with our science.

Local, Regional or National Competition

Once a week drop your regular schooling and practice for a competition

- prepare a big project and enter in your local county or state fair

- Math Olympiad

- Spelling, Geography (or other) Bee

- Science Olympiad

- local science fair project

Join a Group

- 4-H

- Civil Air Patrol (you do NOT have to know how to fly!)

- Sea Cadets (you do NOT have to be anywhere near water!)

- speech/debate

- junior strings or orchestra group

- community youth theater group

- take in and train a handicap-helper puppy

- trade stable cleaning for horseback lessons/trail rides

Take a Class Outside of Home

- ballroom dance

- martial arts

- Parks & Rec -- pottery, photography, art, etc.

Homeschool Group Youth Activities

You could easily change these from a homeschool group to a family activity. Social activities planned and organized by the homeschool group Student Council students (meeting once a month) -- things like: rollerskating or ice skating; a hike; game night; rock climbing; miniature golf; laser tag; pizza party and group games/activities; etc. Also did several community service activities as a group throughout the year.

Educational Field Trips

We did them as a group of 12-24 middle schoolers and parents from the homeschool group, but you could easily do them as a family. Things like:

- tour of different departments at the local university

- bring in someone to talk for an hour who specializes in history re-creation; lapidairy; is from a foreign country; has exotic pets; etc.

- student matinee showing of local theater production, opera, ballet, etc.

- tour a TV and radio station

- arrange to sit in for an interesting demo

- stargazing with local amateur astronomy group

- student matinee showing of Chinese acrobats, Kodo Drummers, and other international groups at the local university's arts program

- went to a symphony orchestra concert

- student day at the regional Renaissance Festival

- special exhibit at the art or science museum

Edited by Lori D.