Menu

Do you have a Facebook account?

Do you have a Facebook account?  

1. 1. Do you have a Facebook account?

• Yes. It is active and I use it often.
    • Yes. It is active, but I seldom or never use it.
    • Yes. It is active, but someone else uses it.
    • No. I used to have one but it is now deactivated.
    • No and I never plan to, either.
    • No but I may get one in the future.
    • Other.

till it became evident I'd be more in touch with college aged niece and nephews, whose lives needed an active adult. So I joined with a fake name, that only they knew. SO, my kids got bigger, and they joined, and my son outed me. Then all my adult cousins joined, and posted pictures of me. I search for every way I can to not have the "frequently checked" people be the ones I see stuff about most. I never write anything, except to comment on babies in the family. I really just see what my kids are saying, and see the babies of cousins' kids, etc. I get rid of the people who post their daily chores and weekend plans and such. So, while I do love seeing the younger generation, and keeping up with them a bit, I really think FB should be for those college aged kids it was created for. Can't deny its great for groups of people to keep up, just not my cup of tea. Way too public. I get really disgusted with the adult behavior on FB, and wonder where the kids will go next, when they get tired of adults taking over their forum. But, I'm so private, that I resent the phone ringing at home. I just don't feel the need to advertise my life....maybe insecurity, dunno. But I really love seeing pictures of my extended family as they grow. For that, I keep it.

I do think technology does have a dark side. We'll have to fgure it out as we go along. Of course, some of us do not have our photos as our profile pic. I never have. If I was a supah hottie, I might. lol

Of course, if one owns a business or is otherwise a pubic figure, one doesn't even have the luxury of being off the radar.

No, and I don't plan to, especially after hearing what I heard on NPR radio yesterday...

It seems that there is new facial recognition technology that incorporates Facebook now. Someone can snap a picture of you with their smartphone while you are walking down the street - completely unaware - and this software takes the picture of you and matches it with your facebook profile. Within 60 seconds the person who took your picture can know your name and a hundred other details about you. Not only that, but if your facebook page mentions where you were born, then this technology can fairly accurately guess your social security number.

I would not have believed this possible, but yet I heard it with my own ears from the National Public Radio.

Edited by LibraryLover

• 4 weeks later...