Menu

Career Questions for homeschooling moms

I've asked many questions in regards to careers. I'm stuck though. In my online college writing class, we have to do an interview with someone in our future field of study. I have absolutely no idea what I want to do. Of course, I could just come up with some random idea that sounds good for now, but I really want to get the most out of this interview and experience. We also have to write a research paper based on the same field of study we chose for the interview piece.

Honestly, I just want to be a SAHM. However, I know that isn't the best idea in this economy :glare: I've been with my boyfriend for almost 4 years (October) and if we're still together when he graduates college in 2014 we plan to marry. He completely supports me homeschooling. Obviously, I know things change and we may not stay together. But, I do know that I want a child or children and I want to homeschool.

I am really not interested in much beyond that. I don't know what to go to vocational school/community college/university for.

I wouldn't mind working in a daycare, but there aren't too many jobs in that area, even with an early childhood education degree. <sigh>

I don't like interacting with people. I love babies and young toddlers, but I don't think I want to do any kind of therapy (Occupational, Physical, Speech) and I know I would hate being a nurse.

I just want a job that I can do until I can either SAH or work part-time/telecommute/whatever. I was considering Medical Laboratory Technician, but I've heard many times that they aren't respected by the doctors/nurses/other lab personnel.

If I didn't have a research paper and interview, I wouldn't be freaking out. But, I'd really like to choose a career I could see myself working in for the interview.

I'm not a people-person. I'm not really science-minded but those are really the only degrees that seem to offer any kind of stability/security in this job market. I was considering Accounting, but I'm not too sure about that either.

What would you suggest to your daughter in this dilemma?

I would suggest a comprehensive aptitude test and some fall back college education that could later be compatible with pt work for moms.

Accounting or bookkeeping has some merits. There are definitely part time opportunities. It also pays well. You do not need to become a CPA for accounting to be a possibility, but CPAs do make a bit more money and can do a bit more professionally.

Most all jobs require some people skills, even if they are not patient or customer facing roles.

I second the idea of interviewing a home daycare provider. There isn't a lot of "respect" for this job, but done the right way it can be a very lucrative job with the added benefit of being flexible and allowing you to be at home with your kids while earning money.

There is more to it than people think. Ask questions about organization, licensing, forms, ways to get state aid for food served, how to design a contract, and so on.

Thanks for the ideas!

For my project, I am considering interviewing a Montessori educator. We live near two Montessori schools (both offer infant-6th grade & one will soon offer through 8th).

I know education doesn't pay well, but with an Early Education degree, I could open my own daycare or preschool or work at a preschool part-time.

I'd like to be a certified Montessori educator at some point, but the training programs in Massachusetts are all about an hour or so away. It could work if I did the three Summer program instead of one intense year.

When I mentioned I wasn't a people person, I meant more patient/customer care. I have no problem dealing with professionals in my field. I love working with infants and toddlers and preschoolers, not so much the older crowd.

• 4 months later...
Guest chu082011
I think an honest, well-written paper about how you want to be a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom investing in your children etc. just may be looked on pretty well, and certainly may stand out amongst the other papers. Just a thought!

Hi,

Thank very much for your comment. It make me to think about for my ideals. I'll send later.

If you want to do more info, you also visit at: Medical lab technician interview questions

Tks again.

Edited by chu082011