Menu

How to categorize on a transcript: computer programming, econ, personal finance?

My categories are English, math, science, foreign language, social studies (don't really like this title), then a misc category which has some fine arts (category by itself??), lifetime fitness, personal fitness, computer programming (stick it in math), and economics.

Thoughts? Different names for categories?

Electives?

lol-- seems kind of obvious to me now. ;) Thanks!

I like that better. So should AP Psych go there too, ya think? I had it under social studies, but I could make that category history and get psych out of there. Hmm... where would that leave world religions then -- history or electives? Thnking....

My categories are English, math, science, foreign language, social studies (don't really like this title), then a misc category which has some fine arts (category by itself??), lifetime fitness, personal fitness, computer programming (stick it in math), and economics.

Thoughts? Different names for categories?

Usually, at the high school level you list specific history courses (World History, U.S. History, Ancient History, etc.) instead of "social studies."

Also, it's more common to just list "Fine Arts" or "Personal Fitness" instead of having an "electives" category, as some electives can also be additional/high maths or sciences, a specialized English class (e.g., "Journalism") and so on.

Usually, at the high school level you list specific history courses (World History, U.S. History, Ancient History, etc.) instead of "social studies."

Also, it's more common to just list "Fine Arts" or "Personal Fitness" instead of having an "electives" category, as some electives can also be additional/high maths or sciences, a specialized English class (e.g., "Journalism") and so on.

Well yes, of course the individual courses do have those specific designations (World History, US Govt, etc) -- but I'm talking about the category as a whole. I've seen "Social Studies" as a category on a subject-organized transcript, but I'm not crazy about that name. I think "social studies" makes me think of elementary years or middle school years. lol But at least SS could include psych, Econ, and such -- whereas "history" could not include those.

So obviously I have a category for English, math, science. Those are easy and they'll have 4+ courses listed in each of those. And if I list SS as a category, I can group a bunch of courses there besides history/govt titles. But if I list it as history then I'm limited to ONLY listing the history/govt courses. Where do I list the Econ, psych, even personal finance then if not in an "electives" or "misc" category? Fine arts could be a category for music theory, art, art history, and the lIke.

If I arranged it all by year then I suppose this wouldn't be an issue, but I like that they can SEE all the math, science, English all together like this -- particulary since they've done a lot of those.

This seemed a lot easier before I was actually trying to finish it. ;)

My daughter's transcript categories were:

English

Mathematics

Science

Foreign Language

Social Studies

Art, Physical Ed., and Miscellaneous

I too did not care for the designation of Social Studies but could not find anything more appropriate. Had that section included only History classes, I would have used History as the category; however, she had taken AP Comparative Government and Politics as one of those classes.

I decided to avoid using Electives as a category since I wanted to ensure that all Academic subjects were very visible. (So, for example, had my daughter taken a Logic class, I would not have wanted it in the same category as Swing Dancing.)

Regards,

Kareni