Menu

Both girls roll their eyes when it is math time...suggestions?

momsuz123

I am doing MIF (singapore) right now. I realized I probably need to go back and review for my older dd because she used a much different curriculum at her school last year, and parts of the 2a (that are review) she has never been introduced to. So, I ordered 1b, but it isn't here yet. My dd2, is in MIF 1a, and doing fine.

They both seem to hate math though. Big eye rolls, etc when I say it is math time. I have unifix cubes and some magnetic base ten squares that my dd2 loves. I also ordered the manipulative with MIF, but don't have those yet either (can't wait). What else can I do to make it fun? More math games? Mini math lessons on the days off, so that Monday isn't so hard?

Thanks.

Is it too easy? Do they even like using manipulatives?

I would expect a child that should be in 2A to roll her eyes at 1A, as that's going to be way easy for her and probably a good bit boring. No amount of manipulatives is going to make 2+3 any more fun for a child that's ready for more. ;)

And some kids don't want to use manipulatives because they can do it faster in their heads. If your DDs are like that, don't force the manipulatives unless they really aren't understanding a concept.

Actually, my dd2 loves manipulatives and it seems it is the only way for her to figure out the answer -really. That is why I am buying more for her. As far as my dd1, MIF 2A is a little too hard, that is why I am ordering her 1B (some of it will be too easy, but some will be just right). She is coming out of Everyday Math in her ps, so switching to singapore math was too big of a switch.

Did they like math previously--is this a new thing? If it's just that they don't like math--well, no one is going to like every subject. I think sometimes we feel that because we homeschool, we have to make our kids like every subject--that's not a very realistic expectation.

On the other hand if they used to like math and don't now, it could be that Singapore just isn't a good fit for them.

Have you asked them what they do and don't like about it? You might be able to glean from them what the issue is. My son really hated that we had both a course book and a workbook. He wanted everything in one book. He also wanted his workbook to be full color. He liked the pictures but wanted more examples in a book (rather than me having to teach him).

Sometimes you'll discover things they want that are "fixable" about a curriculum, and sometimes you'll find that there are so many issues that you may need a different curriculum that better matches their learning style and needs. You may need to ask questions in a variety of ways, and at different times rather than one big long discussion (and preferably have discussions at a time when they are relaxed--not when they are frustrated over math).

Having the right level for your oldest might be the solution...time will tell with that.

Merry :-)

My 6.5 year old girl will sometimes sigh when it's math time. So what? I'm not interested in making it drudgery, I'm also not overly concerned with making it "fun." She can do the math... she'd just rather draw, color, cut, paste, play dollhouse, wear costumes, put on a fashion show, read all day long... She's a girl, right? LOL. :lol:

It's math time. Sit down, ignore the sighing and rolling of the eyes, and get the math done. On to the next adventure... ;)

If the sighing and rolling of the eyes gets too far out of hand, one solution is to assign more math as a consequence. I did that only once -- assigned one extra page of math -- as a consequence for what I considered to be a stinky attitude. She completed the drill without any comments, knowing that there were even more math drill pages that might land on her work spot. I was not Popular Mommy that day, but the complaining did cease. HTH.

Can you identify what it is that they don't like about math? My dd hated math at 5yo, and I just couldn't figure it out for the longest time, because she was quite good at it. It turned out that my problem was three-fold. The biggest problem was that she didn't like worksheets. She also really wanted something more interactive (teacher-student). Lastly, she wanted something more challenging (specifically asking for multiplication)--yet she wasn't ready to just accellerate a few years to third grade math. CSMP was our solution for all of those problems.

Thanks, what is CSMP?

Sorry. I forgot the link.

Comprehensive School Mathematics Program It is a now defunct program that has been made available free online. It is designed for a classroom but is easily adapted to a homeschool. Its scripted manual helps the teacher to guide the students into making their own discoveries about math. It uses stories heavily to engage the children. It emphasizes mental math. It uses very few worksheets, and most of the worksheets are not part of the lessons but are used for assessment only, making them completely optional. And best of all for us, it teaches advanced concepts at a young child's level. In first grade, we covered negative numbers and fractions, for example.