Menu

Anyone from Kansas? Relocating

We received great news that my hubby got offered a position with the railroad company in Kansas City. We are from VA so this would be a big move for us! What areas are great to raise kids in? We have 2 boys ages 8.5 and 7. We are currently researching Overland Pk and Lenexa. Also wanted to know info about HS laws and if there are any Homeschool support groups and co-ops?

Lee's Summit on the MO side is nice. And MO hs law is pretty laid back. You just submit a letter each year.

Lived in Missouri for 9-1/2 years... There is no notification requirement for Missouri homeschoolers. It says you MAY do that, but it's not required. http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Missouri.pdf

“For the purpose of minimizing unnecessary investigations,†parents “may provide to the recorder of deeds of the county where the child legally resides, or to the chief school officer of the public school district where the child legally resides, a signed, written declaration of enrollment stating their intent†to home school within thirty days after establishment of the home school and on Sept. 1 each year thereafter. Mo. Ann. Stat. § 167.042. Filing is strictly optional. Filing may compromise the family’s privacy because the information is open to the public. Filing has occasionally caused a family to be investigated.

To the OP: We just moved to Overland Park in July. LOVE it here, btw! But we had to notify the State of KS of our intent to homeschool, and I was pleasantly surprised that the notification form had NO requests on it for # of children, their ages, or anything personal like that. None. It was just parent's name, school name, school supervisor's name (same as parent, of course), address, phone, and email. There's an online form that you can submit for this, or you do it by mail. I contacted the MPE office (of which we're members) to find out what they recommend. They suggested sending it in by mail AND including a copy of the completed form, along with a self-addressed, stamped envelope and a note asking them to stamp, date, and return the copy to me in the SASE, as they do NOT send confirmation letters otherwise. I did that (and sent it certified mail, in fact), and not only did they return the copy, but they also sent me a confirmation email! Home schools in Kansas are considered a "private school" and you should always identify yourself as such. (I wouldn't count on getting that confirmation email, though, as they don't guarantee it.)

Homeschooling is pretty popular in the Kansas City area, on both the KS and MO sides, and there's a lot to do here. It'll be very easy to connect with others once you get here. Check out the MPE (Midwest Parent Educators) site as soon as you get a chance. :001_smile:

Oh, and for homeschooling in Kansas, beyond filing that initial and one-time-only Notice of Intent, we 'basically' just have to have a schedule in place ("planned and scheduled"), do "periodic testing" (no specifics as to when or what kind), and do 186 days a year for at least 5 hours a day.

Conversely, in Missouri we didn't have a # of days requirement... just hours. Those hours had to be broken down into core and non-core subjects, at-home and away school time, etc. You have to keep a log of your hours... which is REALLY hard to do if you lean toward a relaxed/unschooling method, or if your kids are still young. (Yes, we easily DID the required number of "educational" hours, but the recording part of it was annoying.)

I like the Kansas way of doing it much better. ;) Here's the link to a complete summary of the law which you should read. http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Kansas.pdf

As for co-ops, yes, there are many. You're likely to learn about at least one as you cross the border into the state. :lol: There are also part-time classical schools available, as well as at least one (that I know of) university style school for homeschoolers. That's right here in Overland Park. http://www.brightonacademy.net/