Menu

Suggestions please for 2nd grade Language art curriculum

Guest CBC604

I enjoy FLL and WWE - quick and easy to use, very effective. I use them at different levels, since my son is asynchronous in his skills (his brain is ahead of his hand ;) ). An all-in-one curriculum wouldn't work well for him. He'd either be bored, or his hand would hurt. :tongue_smilie:

For reading, I just pick good books. For spelling... I'm dabbling in different spelling programs now to find the best fit for us, but might give you more recommendations if you say what kind of speller your child is - does he/she need phonics/rules or learn by patterns or would studied dictation be necessary?

There are several options depending on how well your child reads and writes. What has worked for us (tried OM2, but it was too slow moving) was Jolly Grammar, All About Spelling and Winning With Writing. We should be moving to Galore Park's Junior English 1 with AAS by January, which includes suggestions for literature.

Have you heard anything about Phonics Pathways? Jesse Wise has highly recommended the program, which strengthens reading and spelling skills for students at any level. I'm using it for my logic stage dd as a review this year to help her improve spelling, but if it is implemented at an earlier age like your dc it lays a very solid foundation. If I could go back and start all over again, I would have combined FLL, WWE and PP together with a strong spelling program like Spelling Power or Spelling Workout instead of hopping around to various LA curricula like we did.

An alternative to WWE and a good spelling program would be Spell to Write and Read by Wanda Sanseri. I heard her lecture at a hs conference this summer and was very impressed by her methods of teaching spelling and phonics. I would have been very tempted to try that one for a younger student as well.

I'm sure there are a lot of other recommendations out there, but here is my 2¢ worth.

Blessings,

Lucinda

My 2nd grader uses:

Rod and Staff penmanship, spelling, phonics, and English. Love all of these for her. When my Odd was 2nd grade, the spelling was way too easy for her, so we didn't do it.

Reading: real books. I use things like the Sonlight list for ideas on new books for her to start.

I do dictation with her almost daily. Right now I use words from her spelling or phonics and make up sentences.

Copywork, we need to do more, but we do some. She mainly copies from her handwriting sheets and from her own narrations which she dictates to me.

This is our first full year of HSing, so I'm still learning the ropes myself. I've got a second grader, and we decided not to do a ton of formal grammar. But he needs to get his writing skills up to speed, so we are doing Handwriting Without Tears plus Writing With Ease I. I was afraid of WWE because of the "copywork" until I saw that it's super gentle. Like, a four word sentence every other day when they first start. We've been doing this all of one week, but I'm already seeing less resistance from DS re: writing anything. So that rocks!

We use All About Spelling. We stalled out last spring on the phonograms, but decided to start over this fall since so many people love this program. We're only on lesson 4 but it's going great!

Other than that, we're doing Sonlight readers (they have a super quick "test" on their Web site you can give to your kiddos to determine the grade level of readers to use). Last spring, we just got books from the library but I thought we should have something a bit more challenging for this year. So far, he loves the reading (it's 16 weeks from the Beginner's Bible for the Grade 2 readers) and I can see that he's progressing compared to last year.

We do all literature-based history and science, so I'm reading to him a ton. I decided that's enough for this year, since he really dislikes worksheets and so many grammar programs are worksheet based.

For next year, I'm dreaming about MCT Grammar Island (plus the other books in the Island series). It looks beautiful and like a really friendly way to teach grammar. But they say it's for third/fourth grade, so I'm waiting for now.

HTH!

christina

Edited by StinaInColorado