Menu

Classic books about horses and/or cats for girls?

DD's 7th birthday is coming up and she is wildly into cats/kittens and horses. I always give the kids classics for birthdays/holidays so I'm looking classic lit suggestions about cats and/or horses. We already have the Misty of Chincoteague series. We also have Beverly Cleary's Socks and most of the the Jenny Lind books (:001_wub: these!). She is a strong reader and I love to read aloud so level doesn't matter at all, so long as the material is appropriate for her age. (We have Black Beauty but I don't think she can take it yet.)

Ideas? :bigear:

Dorothy Lyons is a writer from the mid-20th century who wrote awesome girl/horse books. (IMNSHO!:)) You can find her stuff used on Amazon. There's some guy-girl interaction but nothing even close to sexual in them.

Of course, she might be interested in Walter Farley's Black Stallion series.

My Friend Flicka might be too much for her if she's sensitive.

Stephen Holt is an older author who wrote stories set in Western Canada - his are about boys and horses.

HTH!

Mama Anna

ETA: For cats, there's Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford. The old version of the video (by the same name) is really cool for a movie night, too. (Note: I'm not speaking of Homeward Bound by Disney)

Edited by Mama Anna

If she enjoyed Misty you might look into other books by Marguerite Henry. You should also look at the Walter Farley books, I loved The Black Stallion when I was a kid.

Cat books: my girls like the Catwings books by Ursula Le Guin.

Good luck, have fun

Oh, I love the look of the Catwings books! I have all 4 in my cart and I think she will love them. Thanks! I wishlisted The Black Stallion for later.

We love James Herriot's Treasury for Children here. Fantastic illustrations and wonderful heartwarming short stories. I know there's one about a horse and one about a cat at least. Really great book.

There's lots of Billy and Blaze books but she'd probably find them waay to easy. I got them just to have them though, is she a collector? 8)

Opossums book of practical cats by TS Elliot is a poem although it might be a little much for her. If you read it and then were able to see Cats the Broadway musical it would be great.

Thanks! We have all three of these (DS8 has the collection of Billy & Blaze books from when he was younger--they are wonderful!).

I will have to dig them all out. Taking her to see Cats would be amazing! We are actually going to see the traveling Mary Poppins Broadway show for her birthday! She doesn't know and I am dying holding in the surprise!

Dorothy Lyons is a writer from the mid-20th century who wrote awesome girl/horse books. (IMNSHO!:)) You can find her stuff used on Amazon. There's some guy-girl interaction but nothing even close to sexual in them.

Of course, she might be interested in Walter Farley's Black Stallion series.

My Friend Flicka might be too much for her if she's sensitive.

Stephen Holt is an older author who wrote stories set in Western Canada - his are about boys and horses.

HTH!

Mama Anna

ETA: For cats, there's Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford. The old version of the video (by the same name) is really cool for a movie night, too. (Note: I'm not speaking of Homeward Bound by Disney)

Going to look at all of these! Thanks!