Menu

My KA 600 is officially dead

I heard about a Bosch/Nutrimill combo on these boards some months ago, and have been drooling since. But I never actually wanted my KA to go kaput because of $$ reasons. Now, it's done for, and I am not sure how to feel about it. :001_huh:

I have a 6 quart KA Professional 600. She's black and looks amazing in my kitchen. I bought it because my artisan was too small, I was getting into making cakes and such. I did an occasional loaf of bread, but every week I did a double batch of pizza dough. I guess that wasn't a good idea?

Dh has taken it apart as much as possible to see what's wrong, and it looks like i'd need a whole new motor. After researching, I can't see putting another $100 into it, when I can't use it on dough.

So...I just needed to vent it somewhere. Financially, replacing this mixer right now is not what we needed. But with the amount of baking I do, combined with a light case of carpal tunnel...I need a mixer.

I guess my question would be this: I bought the KA because of it's reputation as a "work horse". Four years does not equal "work horse" in my world. I am seriously contemplating the Bosch...but are there hidden quirks to that too? I see the Electrolux's are pretty, but wow, they aren't cheap!

And if anyone has bought from Pleasant Hill Grains in the fall, do you have any idea what kind of sale I can anticipate on them? The customer service lady said they usually run deals in Oct., but she didn't know what it would be. That's a whole month away! :(

Do I buy now, or wait for a *possible* sale? I bake all the time in the fall...a month without a mixer?!?! Waaahhhh!!!

Edited by Mallorie

I'm having a heck of a time not ordering the Bosch....right....now.....The only thing holding me back is the possibility of a good deal on a bosch/nutrimill combo. I can just see me waiting a month, and then having the deal on something I don't use. ugh. I am not a patient person. lol

The only thing about the Bosch that might bug you is the post in the middle of the bowl. It doesn't bother me, but I'm not comparing it to anything. :)

My Bosch is over 15 years old. I love it.:001_wub:

Does it knead the dough well? I didn't make bread often because I got sick of it winding around my dough hook and having to push it down, and my wrists hurt too much to hand-knead. I think I can deal with a center post, if it means a better mix/knead.

I heard through the grapevine that L'Equip is offering a special on a Bosch/Nutrimill combo effective the 1st of September for $649. However, I'm not sure if that is something through our local Wholly Living or if that is available through all Bosch vendors. I LOVE my Bosch and Nutrimill, way more than I anticipated that I would.

I have gone through 3 KA mixers...they are not made like they used to be, lol. I do have another one now, yet another KA 600 Pro, but I do not use it for anything other than soft stuff.

For dough I use my Electrolux Assistent (yes, that's the correct spelling). I used to have a Bosch, and the Assistent is a much better machine.

My KA is burning out... started burning out this past Christmas, and I know it won't make it through this Christmas. They just aren't made like they used to be.

I'm planning on getting the Assistant. It's about $200 more than a new KA, but I *know* the KA won't last, and the Assistant has an excellent reputation. So, I'm thinking it will be well worth the extra money for as much as the thing will get used!

Does it knead the dough well? I didn't make bread often because I got sick of it winding around my dough hook and having to push it down, and my wrists hurt too much to hand-knead. I think I can deal with a center post, if it means a better mix/knead.

Bosch is the best at kneading dough. In fact, it does such a good job that you only have to let the dough rise once: mix the dough, separate it into loaves and put into the bread pans, let the dough rise once, bake.

I can do up to four loaves of 100% whole wheat bread at a time.

We have the Nutrimill with a Zojirushi bread machine, and a cheap ($8?) electric hand mixer for non-breads.

The Zojirushi won't make more than one loaf at a time, and we don't bake in it (we're teflon-shy), but its delay start allows us to do a pre-ferment overnight, which adds a wonderfully complex flavor. And we have fresh bread in the morning with next to NO effort.

The night before, we:

-mill wheat

-mix a cup of the wheat with water and yeast for about 10 minutes in the bread machine

-add the other ingredients on top of that mixture

-set the bread machine on a dough cycle with enough delay that it will be ready to go in the oven when hubby wakes up

In the morning, hubby:

-preheats the oven

-lines the bread pan with parchment paper and puts the dough in it

-puts it in the oven

That's it. Sometimes I dream of having a Bosch so I can make bigger batches... but the ease of the bread machine always wins. We have a 3yo and a 7mo, and I KNOW we would not be able to make fresh bread 2x a week if there was any more work to it. :)

I love my Bosch. In fact I had a beautiful red one (that was a limited edition) and thought I didn't use it enough. Sold it and bought a KA Pro 5, hated it and sold it to buy the new Bosch Universal. I don't have a Nutrimill, but have thought about it. We really don't eat much bread, but my kids do love it when I make it instead of store bought.

I don't know what the sale in Oct will be like, but when I bought mine last December from PHG (who has awesome customer service) I paid $389 for a clearance one.

Have you called PHG and asked if they have any in the clearance area, they usually don't list the Bosch Universals there, but usually have a couple. They are models that someone tried and returned, they will tell you what kind of condition they are in. Mine was in R1 condition (which is the best) and meant Returned. Non-working surfaces have new or virtually new appearance. Working surfaces may have slight wear marks. I've never had issues with it and it came with the full warranty from the company.

Bosch is the best at kneading dough.

Having had both the Bosch Universal and the Electrolux Assistent, I found Assistent to be the better kneader. It's also a heavier, solid machine, the huge stainless bowl that comes with the Assistent is a nice plus, and the belt drive gives incredible power while kneading even the stiffest doughs.

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/magic_mill_dlx_mixer.aspx

Still, either is a better kneader than the KA. :)