Menu

First day of AoPS

joannqn

We started our first day of school with DS doing Intro to Counting and Probability, a topic for which I have no prior knowledge. Neither of us have problem solving experience going into this.

I just wanted to say that I survived the first day of DS's math! :party:

We read the lesson portion together and then worked on the problems individually. I check my answers as I went make sure I was doing it right. When I got stuck, I looked up the first step of the solution to get help and then went from there.

When DS needed help, I was able to help him by asking leading questions rather than tell him the answers because I understood it from doing it myself. Questions like, "Now, how would you make that list into one that looks like normal counting by twos?" Had I not done the work myself, I would have had to just given him the answer to the next step...more like, "Now you need to divide by four," without any explanation as to why. There's no doubt that me understanding the work will be beneficial to both of us.

A couple of the questions were really hard...and it is only day 1. :eek: This is one class I definitely want to keep up with. Getting through the first lesson was definitely a confidence booster; I haven't used my brain this much in many years. I'm going to feel like I got my brain back if I survive the school year!

Great job! So do you think AoPS will be the solution to the brain loss that pregnancy creates? :lurk5: I can't wait to get to AoPS prealgebra!

Gosh, I sure hope so! It's the first time in a long time where I felt a sense of accomplishment and pride in something I did...and it was a measly 9 problems. LOL

We started our first day of school with DS doing Intro to Counting and Probability, a topic for which I have no prior knowledge. Neither of us have problem solving experience going into this.

I just wanted to say that I survived the first day of DS's math!

Good for you! I gave up after committee-type problems. There was only so much mindbending that I could achieve without getting a headache. :) Wish I had stuck with learning it with him.

Second the suggestion to ask on the forums. Very helpful!

I looked at the forums earlier today. I can't figure out where intro to counting and probability questions would go, and it appears to me that you need a degree in computer programming to post to the board. Aak!

We used the forum that was linked to the boy's online class page. But I believe you can also ask on the Alcumus forums. I often see C&P questions there, e.g. this one:

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Forum/viewforum.php?f=545

Is she doing an online class with AoPS? I would love to hear your opinion if she is:D.

Yes, she is taking the Prealgebra I. I am excited to see how it goes since it is being taught by Richard Rusczyk. She enjoyed working the 24game puzzles this morning, especially when she figured out one of the answers before I did. ;) It is the first time I have seen her smile about math, so I am cautiously optomistic.

We read the lesson portion together and then worked on the problems individually. I check my answers as I went make sure I was doing it right. When I got stuck, I looked up the first step of the solution to get help and then went from there.

I'm going to feel like I got my brain back if I survive the school year!

:iagree:

My son and I just started Chapter 2. I have never worked problems like this before either.

Have you checked out the videos on the AoPS website that correspond to the chapters in the counting & probability book? I just discovered them, and they are fantastic.

:iagree:

My son and I just started Chapter 2. I have never worked problems like this before either.

Have you checked out the videos on the AoPS website that correspond to the chapters in the counting & probability book? I just discovered them, and they are fantastic.

No! Where are they?!

No! Where are they?!

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Resources/video.php?video_id=15

If the link doesn't work, go to the main page of AoPS, click on the "resource" section, and then click on "videos". They have a lecture for every single section of the book! It is like having your own private lessons!!!

:party:

My son and I are both learning a ton!

That's awesome! Thanks for the info.

He's working on the review questions in the summary. I asked how it was going, and he said, "It's hard." So far, he's gotten the first 5 correct.

He likes it even though it is hard. He asked if we could do AoPS Algebra next year.