Menu

Please help me think through this...

Pata

My strong suit is not LA, so I want to make sure that I'm not missing something important. I had planned on using SWB new writing program, but I'm wondering if I could save the money. I plan on starting Writing Tales in 3rd grade, so I wouldn't used WWE for all four years. Ok, here's what I'm thinking...

This part is set, since I already own most of it...

All About Spelling-already have this (I chose this in lieu of phonics since we have already completed all of Hooked on Phonics)

Readers that I already have

First Language Lessons-already have this

Vocab-writing my own using Sonlight's Core 1 Read-Alouds

The question I have is in writing, will this be enough...

Copywork-selections from Story of the World and Aesop's Fables

Begin dictation-using All About Spelling

Narration-I had planned to do narrations with history, science and the read-alouds. I thought about adding in the Aesop's fables for narration if I don't use WWE.

Will this work and be enough to prepare her for Writing Tales? I'm thinking that if I add WWE I might overload her. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Noting the age of your dc in your sig line, I would say that is enough. :)

Copywork, dictation and narration are more than enough to prepare a child for future writing.

I also wouldn't worry too much about vocabulary at that age. Your dc will pick up so much just from reading and writing and spelling. If you feel strongly about it then add it in, but if you are feeling like you have a bit much I would drop the vocab. JMHO :)

Can you combine the copywork and dictation with All About Spelling? Have her copy what dictation will be? I would narrate only from the most interesting books for her, not all of it. That's just me though, you might be following a system you're comfortable with. FLL covers narrations and copywork, so why add more? If you add WT to the mix I would lessen writing in another area.

Just as an observation, don't try to think too hard about way down the road. Focus more on what fits her RIGHT NOW. It sounds like you're doing great about understanding the progression of skills (oral narration leading to written narration, copywork transitioning to dictation, and then the two coming together allowing them to get their own compositions on paper in a writing program). As you say, you DON'T have to have WWE to get there. What I sense with your dd, and forgive me if I'm wrong, is that you're saying she's a bit advanced. If she is, just note that the standard pace may not fit her. She may fly through FLL in one year instead of two. You may find yourself doing WT 1 at some point in 2nd, not in 3rd as you expect. So just go with the flow, continue with the progression of skills, and make the curriculum fit her, not her the curriculum. And yes, I agree I'd not worry about the vocab thing too much. It's just not essential, except as a point of discussion for this age.

As for WWE vs. WT or doing both together, well it depends on when you're doing them, at what age, and how much writing a day she tolerates comfortably. For us, the FLL materials didn't have the right pacing, just were never a good fit. I think WWE will turn out to be that way, great for many kids and not a good fit for some. It might turn out that what is popular for the masses won't be what you want with your particular dc, kwim? That's why your focus on the skills, rather than particular options to work on those skills, is the best way to go. The WWE workbooks will be one way to get there, but they're not the only way to make SWB's progression happen.

I was thinking back today about what worried me a year or two ago, what I thought I flopped on, and how it has turned out. In reality, kids are resilient and bounce or come up to speed even when we don't teach perfectly. So just do something working in the progression and it will be fine. You're not going to mess it up. :)

Hey guys--

Thank you for the advice. I was thinking that this was the right way to go. It's hard to strike out on your own in a subject that your not strong in! I will take into account the vocab advice, right now the sheets are very basic, just 4 words. I want to help her with learning to alphabetize and we will be doing the sheets orally.

OhElizabeth, thanks for the thoughts, and yes she is abit advanced (I think she might be gifted but we haven't had her tested, yet). We started FLL in April and she is moving quickly throught it, she begs for more. Thanks for the reminder to worry about right now, I am a planner and if it were up to me I would plan all the way to high school, but as it is I'm trying to keep to just the grammar stage!