Menu

Allergy Observation

I direct an enrichment co-op in our area, and after receiving the applications, I noticed something interesting. We have 21 families and 3 of them all attend some meetings that our local La Lache league sponsors hosts in her home. I know the LL consultant personally, and her family has quite a few food allergies. All three of the families in our co-op list quite a few food allergies as well, but there is only one other allergy on the remaining applications. None of these appear to be life-threatening.

Do you think spending time with others who have allergies causes you to start investigating them in your own family more than a person who is not around them?

I direct an enrichment co-op in our area, and after receiving the applications, I noticed something interesting. We have 21 families and 3 of them all attend some meetings that our local La Lache league sponsors hosts in her home. I know the LL consultant personally, and her family has quite a few food allergies. All three of the families in our co-op list quite a few food allergies as well, but there is only one other allergy on the remaining applications. None of these appear to be life-threatening.

Do you think spending time with others who have allergies causes you to start investigating them in your own family more than a person who is not around them?

No, not necessarily. The incidence of food allergies is increasing last I read:(.How do you know they are not life-threatening? Were the parents asked?

Yes, I do think being around people with allergies makes people more likely to question.

I first had allergy testing when I was in elementary school...not really common at the time.

Since I know how very much allergies can be hidden I had my dd's allergies tested. I will probably have my ds tested as well at some point.

Doctor's are not always the brightest and may not realize that a child has a food allergy unless the parent tell them flat out that the child is allergic to the food and needs to be tested, because the parents were talking to others who know about food allergies who said it was probably a food allergy...and then they tell the parent that when the results are negative the next step...to turn around and 2 days later call and ask how fast the parents can be there to get the epi-pen because the results where so high...yeah so others could really help educate parents to fight for their kids regarding food allergies.

Just like after my dd was diagnosed I told my sister, for 2 years, that her dd had food allergies too...and she was recently diagnosed with milk, egg, and peanut allergies!!

None of these appear to be life-threatening.

For some people, but it wasn't for us. We didn't know anyone at the time with food allergies when I was diagnosed. I only got tested because a relative (a medical professional) made a comment about my symptoms and suggested I see an allergist.

My friends have not seemed to investigate it more from being around us, but we do try not to focus on our allergies too much.

Actually, one friend of ours with a food-allergic child felt it was wrong to see an allergist so we rarely discussed the topic since we have experienced anaphylactic reactions and believe it is necessary to carry the Epi-pens with us.

But I do think that a group that shares common interests would help each other investigate the possibility. Food allergies don't always show the symptoms we think they will. I think people are more likely to look into something when they know someone else that is affected, whether it is allergies or some other condition.

Allergies may not appear to be life-threatening (and I'm not saying the ones you saw on the application were) but that is up to a good allergist to determine if it is, based on both testing and patient history. :)

I've had anaphylactic reactions to foods that I didn't appear to be allergic to, and to foods that are not in the "Top 8" list in the US. While I've had severe reactions to tree nuts and peanuts, my most serious reactions were to things I did not know I was allergic to.

Then, there are food allergies that are very mild. For certain foods, it might just be oral allergy syndrome. With one allergy of ours, it causes a skin rash, but never any respiratory issues.

I think where food sensitivities are concerned, you could be right that people compare symptoms and support each other in finding diagnoses. I'm not sure about true IgE allergies which can become anaphylactic. That really takes on a life of its own.

When my son (18 mos, at the time) was diagnosed with life-threatening allergies, we knew no one else with allergies. His reaction was extreme though - throat closing after first exposure to an allergen.

He has grown into more and more allergies over the years, and I would definitely be cautious on guessing that *any* allergy is not life-threatening, unless specifically told by a parent. Some of the triggers for anaphylaxis here seem very innocent, and unless I'd witnessed it, I'd probably have a difficult time accepting that banana allergy can trigger anaphylaxis. Sesame seed, too. Neither are in the Top 8, and awareness of those is fairly limited.

If it's a true allergy, subsequent exposures can be worse than previous exposures, so almost any allergy can become life-threatening. Of course, my friend, whose child is allergic to peanuts, "only gets eczema and hives" so - what do I know? But I do wish she'd carry the prescribed epipen when they're out eating "may contains"... :blink:

I do notice that we tend, now, to gravitate toward spending time with other families with allergies, though, because we are all more understanding of each other's needs. Maybe that's part of the reason for the groupings you noticed?

I know a couple of them better than others, but I've heard them talk about some behavioral issues that are food allergies. I thought maybe because they are together talking about nursing, parenting, and such, that they start looking into food sensitivities to explain behaviors in their own children.

Like others said, I've anecdotally noticed that for mild allergies or sensitivities. I think a true, full on allergy is something that you just know. But something like a wheat or mild lactose intolerance, that might just gum up a kid's system, is something that a lot of parents won't realize unless someone they know says, "Hey, we had that issue with little Timmy but then we went gluten free and suddenly we could flush our toilet again!"