Menu

Thinking of going to Aldi's in a bit...

I have only been in the store once. Do they have decent meats? (I was thinking of trying their cube steak?) I did a search on Aldi and TONS of threads came up. :tongue_smilie: I've heard that the chocolate is good, the lunch meats are okay, and the milk is yucky. Does that sound right? What about bread for sandwiches?

I like just about everything at Aldi, but their meat. :) I am not sure what it is about it, but it just never looks good to me. We prefer their bread over other store brands. I have never noticed a funny taste to their milk and it is advertised to be hormone free. I do buy lunch meat there. Fruits/vegetables are on a case by case basis. If they look good, I buy them. Sometimes they are obviously past their prime, though. I buy *butter, chocolate chips, baking supplies, *cheese, condiments (except miracle whip), *crackers, chips, *chocolate, ice cream, *OJ concentrate, *frozen fruit, tuna, *spaghetti sauce, *taco seasoning, *salsa, *tortilla chips, etc. Things with an asterik are things we prefer to buy at Aldi over name brands. Other things I buy there because it is usually the cheapest and we do not have a real brand preference.

HTH,

Joy

Edited by Delighted3

We buy everthing there except meat :) We've been drinking their milk for years and never had any trouble about that. *If* I buy chips or crackers they are from Aldi's, baking supplies and spices, coffee, pasta and anything canned, cheese is something that's always on my list there, and their frozen juice concentrates. Oh,and butter, whipped cream, yogurt, cottage cheese. I can't answer on the bread because I usually end up picking that up elsewhere.

Like Joy said, the fruits and vegies are on a day by day basis. Sometimes I find really good quality for a good price and other times not-so-much. I've never had good luck with potatoes for some reason, but quite often buy cauliflower and broccoli fresh there. Their baby carrots never last or taste right for me.

I do not care for their meat. Got a roast and it came vacuum sealed in a bag - which should have tipped me off. It was so full of packaging liguid that it was almost like corned beef (and it was NOT corned beef, but a tip roast). Their price of hamburger is not any better than the local Butera, either. I use Aldi for cheese, yogurt, milk, eggs, some breads, etc.

I don't buy the meat. I do buy the milk, eggs, milk, sour cream, several types of cheeses, guacamole, vegs, tacos, tortilla chips, etc. I just tried the steak seasoning on chicken (backs & drum sticks) and we all LOVED it. Bread is good - we buy the hamb. rolls, raisin bread & WW bread. I buy several bags of baby carrots and they are always good. Lately the cucumbers are old. I'm cooking the Aldi red potatoes & cauliflower now.

I didn't like the mayo, steak sauce, & black olives.

I LOVE to try new items because if you don't like it Aldi's will give you a FULL REFUND (yes, opened & used).

Edited by MIch elle

Don't laugh, but I went to Target instead. I needed some things for dinner and the beginning of this week until dh gets paid. I didn't want to have to return anything. I am just too tired today and the Cube Steak was for dinner. :001_smile:

I do need to try Aldi and see what we like/don't like. It seems to be a mixed bag of responses.

The Target here does seem to have the best produce. Whole Foods has good produce, but it is pricier and is on the other side of town. I love the Farmer's Market, but I need a market ALL the time. :lol: I am not picky am I?

I didn't know I could get a refund at Aldi's on anything. That's good to know!

The white bread is horrible. Most of the bread goes bad more quickly than other store-bought bread we have bought. The hot dog and hamburger buns go bad very quickly also.....like the next day or so. I'm talking visible mold bad.

Most of the other things are fine and the prices are great. I think the produce at our Aldi's is actually pretty good. We don't have much of a fresh meat selection and the prices for the meat aren't much better than at other stores. I'm not sure if the quality is the same or not since we don't buy meat.

Overall we get the bulk of our shopping at Aldi's and go to Walmart for the few things that we don't like to get at Aldi's or for the few name brand things I insist on (Red Rose tea, Jif peanut butter)