Menu

Associate's in something immediately useful or Bachelor's in something that's not

Hunter's Moon

Just considering all options. Not making any decisions until Spring.

I could attend my local CC, get an Associate's in Clinical Lab Science and sit for the exam and become a Lab Technician. Only 14 students admitted a year so that most, if not all can be hired through their clinical.

If I get a Bachelor's in Biology at a local college, I can only be hired as a Lab Asst. upon graduation and then have to head to grad. school. Or, I could do a year long program after I get my Bachelor's and become a Lab Technologist, not something I am too interested in because it involves being in charge of people.

I won't know for sure until Spring, but average financial debt upon leaving the 4-yr. college is about $18,000-$23,000. If I got no aid whatsoever from the CC, I would leave with about $11,000 in debt.

I would choose the CC program in a heartbeat because it is what I want to do as a career, but I absolutely love the other college and people keep telling me I'll miss out on the "college experience". I can attend college for a Bachelor's after working as a Lab Tech. for a few years, but it wouldn't be the same as I'd be older and probably not living on campus. Also, the CC program is in an unsafe area (about 10 mins. from my house) and online reviews a lot of people say it is just like high school. Also, their graduation rate is about 23% for the whole college. The program I want has heavy science requirements though, so I doubt any "slackers" would be enrolled or in the same classes for the most part.

Lab Technicians are in high demand in my area and if I want I can continue my education while working. Is the college experience really worth it? Is the debt?

Financially, it would make sense to choose the CC, but I worry about all the other life "experiences" I would miss out on.

Did you mention before that you were considering premed or med school? If so, I would be careful about the practical cc program. Med schools like cc credits less and you may not be as prepared for the MCAT. When you decided to get your bachelor's it might take longer than two years.

Debt is a very personal decision. Only you can really know how much the college experience and a four year degree are worth to you. I took out debt to get my degree (a little more than what you'd need to in current terms) and I have no regrets. It was worth it to me to have that education and that experience. It also paid off in full scholarships for graduate school so financially it made sense in that way as well. So for me to avoid the education to avoid the debt would have been penny wise and pound foolish. I'm sure many people have regrets about college debt - again, it is really a personal thing.

One thing you might want to do to inform your decision is look at loan calculators and see what your payments might be like after graduation. There are a number of good calculators on the finaid.org site. http://www.finaid.org/calculators/undergradadvisor.phtml

Another thing you might want to do if you have not already done so, is to explore options for more extensive visits to the dream school. That might include attending a day of classes and staying overnight in the dorm if you are considering living on campus. Contact the admissions office to arrange that. You could also see if you could sit in classes for the program you are considering at the cc. I would also talk to an adviser at the cc. Even if the lab sciences program is competitive many of your general education classes may be with less motivated students. CC vary a lot though so I wouldn't judge without a visit. Reading reviews online is a good first step but your personal experience would mean a lot more.

Did you mention before that you were considering premed or med school? If so, I would be careful about the practical cc program. Med schools like cc credits less and you may not be as prepared for the MCAT. When you decided to get your bachelor's it might take longer than two years.

Debt is a very personal decision. Only you can really know how much the college experience and a four year degree are worth to you. I took out debt to get my degree (a little more than what you'd need to in current terms) and I have no regrets. It was worth it to me to have that education and that experience. It also paid off in full scholarships for graduate school so financially it made sense in that way as well. So for me to avoid the education to avoid the debt would have been penny wise and pound foolish. I'm sure many people have regrets about college debt - again, it is really a personal thing.

One thing you might want to do to inform your decision is look at loan calculators and see what your payments might be like after graduation. There are a number of good calculators on the finaid.org site. http://www.finaid.org/calculators/undergradadvisor.phtml

Another thing you might want to do if you have not already done so, is to explore options for more extensive visits to the dream school. That might include attending a day of classes and staying overnight in the dorm if you are considering living on campus. Contact the admissions office to arrange that. You could also see if you could sit in classes for the program you are considering at the cc. I would also talk to an adviser at the cc. Even if the lab sciences program is competitive many of your general education classes may be with less motivated students. CC vary a lot though so I wouldn't judge without a visit. Reading reviews online is a good first step but your personal experience would mean a lot more.

I don't intend, and never do intend, to go to medical school. The only reason I'd do premed is because the 4-yr college's Biology program requires a concentration in the last two years. Secondary Education, Biotechnology, or Premed. You can't just major in Biology, you need to choose one of the concentrations. That is the only reason I would choose Premed.

Thanks for the other ideas, as well. I've used the loan payment calculators in the past to get a general idea.

ETA: Oh, and in regards to the general education classes, they can be taken online. I know I may not always get them online if I choose to, but I've had no issues with signing up for two very popular classes with them this year (dual enrollment) because I made sure to do it early. And, being dual enrollment, I have low priority. I would only take computer basics for English courses online though, all science and math would be done on campus.

Edited by BeatleMania

I think you need to focus on what you want as an end result. The debt can be manageable if you keep an eye on your earning potential v. debt load. If you want to be a lab tech, then be a lab tech. The college "experience" is a big deal to some, but not to others. If you remember Napoleon Dynamite's uncle, the high school "experience" was the biggest deal in his life. That's a decision you'll have to make.

FYI: Dd#1 just finished her BA in English w/$13K in student loans even though she went to a private, Christian U. She was able to keep them low by having her AA @ 18 (so she only had 2yr away), stayed in state where she got FL Bright Futures $$ & having a great ACT score so she got great $$ from the U. I hate that she had to have any debt, but she should be able to pay them off w/in a year. She can then decide if she wants to travel, go to grad school or something else. She's not working in an English-degree field, but in our resort town, that would be tough to do anyway!

Only you can decide if the "college experience" and debt are essential to you and worth it.

What "college experience" are you looking for? Sometimes people mean well, but their idea of what makes an essential or common experience is not what others want or need. Many people would say that hsing means missing out on the high school experience. Yes, it does, but that is not necessarily a negative. There can be so many positives about hsing that missing the common high school experience is unimportant. Same with colleges.

You want to be a Lab Tech, and the cc is a direct route to that career choice, at a good cost and low debt. You could achieve a similar goal with the other college, but it will require more time and money, and you may end up in a career position you don't necessarily want.

So what important "college experience" does the four-year university offer that the cc does not offer? How important are those things to you? The cc option you mentioned sounds well thought out and reasonable, leading you to a good career. If that is more important to you than the non-specific "college experience", then go with it.

BTW, I am impressed at how you are researching and analyzing your options. You are far ahead of many students because of the time thought you are putting into this, and I think you will end up making a decision that will satisfy you.

Only you can decide if the "college experience" and debt are essential to you and worth it.

What "college experience" are you looking for? Sometimes people mean well, but their idea of what makes an essential or common experience is not what others want or need. Many people would say that hsing means missing out on the high school experience. Yes, it does, but that is not necessarily a negative. There can be so many positives about hsing that missing the common high school experience is unimportant. Same with colleges.

You want to be a Lab Tech, and the cc is a direct route to that career choice, at a good cost and low debt. You could achieve a similar goal with the other college, but it will require more time and money, and you may end up in a career position you don't necessarily want.

So what important "college experience" does the four-year university offer that the cc does not offer? How important are those things to you? The cc option you mentioned sounds well thought out and reasonable, leading you to a good career. If that is more important to you than the non-specific "college experience", then go with it.

BTW, I am impressed at how you are researching and analyzing your options. You are far ahead of many students because of the time thought you are putting into this, and I think you will end up making a decision that will satisfy you.

The main reason I am struggling to figure out whether I should go the CC or 4-yr college route is because I want to be a SAHM (if I have children, which I hope I do). I figured with the Biology degree I could become a technical writer, not something I could do as a lab technician. There aren't many part-time lab technician jobs available immediately. Maybe if one worked with one company for awhile.

I really like the 4-yr college for the experiences I could have: field hockey, page singers, honors program, living away from home while not too far, etc. But, it would lead to more debt than I would like and I would need to then attend Graduate school while incurring more debt.

<sigh> I could get a Bachelor's after working for awhile, though, if that seemed more practical in the end. But, I wouldn't be entering as a freshman fresh out of high school and probably wouldn't do all the activities I would love to do now.

Field hockey I'd have to drop, but I could probably join a local singing group somewhere and join a gym instead of using their fitness center (which I absolutely love!).

I love the 4-yr college. It has a gorgeous campus, the staff is nice and welcoming, and they have awesome activities. I do have unknown health issues now that would make it harder to live on campus if they aren't figured out (I wouldn't be able to eat their food and would have no way of storing enough food for a few days) so I may not really need to make the choice in the end, anyways.

:iagree: You're doing a great job trying to think through these big decisions responsibly.

There is a lot to weigh here. I would be reluctant to go the CC route, as it is more limiting generally, unless you feel absolutely certain that you could transfer later successfully into the 4-year college of your choice.

I don't think that not wanting to be anyone's boss is a good reason to limit your career choices, at this early point in your life (hint, even hiring a babysitter involves being a boss). You may find that as you get older, you mature as a professional, and you may want the doors of career advancement to be open to you. It is rare the person who starts a job and remains in the same job at the same level throughout that person's life.

I honestly do not think the SAHM possibility should play a huge role in your career decision. It is too hypothetical at this point in time (getting married, to a man who can support that, etc. etc.). (Sure, I always wanted to be a SAHM, but it didn't stop me from going to grad school and working in a high-paying position for years before having kids. Without going into detail, that experience was huge for me, and gives me a different perspective and intangible benefits that I never would have had. It was absolutely worth it to me, even though I borrowed nearly the entire tab for grad school. Plus, that's how I met DH, who can support our family all by himself, thanks to the profession involved.) As a practical matter, if you want to consider the SAHM issue, consider where (which school/career) you may be more likely to meet a guy who could end up in a career that would support the SAHM lifestyle. It feels odd to say that "out loud," but that's absolutely what I'd tell my dd, if this came up.

What you seem to be describing is a choice between BA+grad school, vs. AS at the CC, which is quite the contrast. The former is what I'd be shooting for, if the finances make sense.

Reading your last post, it sounds like you'd really like the 4-year school, if you can make the money work. Best of luck getting this sorted out!

I don't intend, and never do intend, to go to medical school. The only reason I'd do premed is because the 4-yr college's Biology program requires a concentration in the last two years. Secondary Education, Biotechnology, or Premed. You can't just major in Biology, you need to choose one of the concentrations. That is the only reason I would choose Premed.

Ah, I get it. That's unusual about the concentration.

Best of luck you. I hope you can find options that are affordable and enjoyable.

You won't need a bio degree to be a technical writer -- you will need a technical writing degree. I know -- my sister has one. And a couple of other odd ones that have absolutely nothing to do with her job. She is a thesis coordinator (e.g. She reads and evaluates the actual writing structure of theses on every subject known to man).

Do you mean that you want to be a *science writer*? There are myriad subsets within technical writing that each have their own 'requirements' (in that they have professional associations kind of guiding minimum standards). A good example of this would be to look up 'medical writing'. They have a large association with a list of "if you want to be a medical writer, you ought to have these courses".

HTH

A

I think the CC-then-BA-later makes a lot of sense. You can start working sooner and save up for your next degree, and the debt is lower. I'm hugely concerned about the higher ed bubble, and I'm not at all convinced that the "college experience" ("O-ver-ra-ted!" Clap, clap, clap-clap-clap) is worth racking up tens of thousands of dollars in debt. Debt limits your options in many ways, and for a lot longer than you think. The economy we're in now may last several more years. There are a lot of college students graduating to a tough labor market, where they are having to compete hard for jobs that don't pay much, and don't really require the knowledge they gained in their major.

Are there interesting extracurriculars you can do at the CC?

I would choose the CC program in a heartbeat because it is what I want to do as a career, but I absolutely love the other college and people keep telling me I'll miss out on the "college experience".

Do the cheaper program, get a job, feel pride in being an adult, pay back your loans, save money, travel, save more and buy a flat. You can continue your formal education later if you need to. The colleges aren't going anywhere!

You might regret not having the college experience, but you won't regret the freedom you'll have when you are living independently. Who's to say you could afford the "college experience" anyway. I've been to university. I went to class, chatted at the curry shop, and went back to the library.

You know how to self-study, you can use that to further your education informally. You don't need to pay a lot of money to a college for that. I think you will be better off becoming financially independent asap. Don't work against getting out of the rut you've described.

:grouphug:

Rosie

I would go for the 4 year program unless you are really sure about your career direction - just because you have more options during & afterwards should you change your mind about what career you are interested in. If you do plan to be a SAHM, then I think it is worth it to get your degree now because it is much easier when you are young (can still pull an all-nighter when you need to!). Also, I would recommend working for a few years before having kids. This helps you (1) know yourself better before you are immersed in the role of "mom" and (2) save up some money to make it easier to stay at home.

The college "experience" isn't just living in a dorm, etc. It really is about learning to be independent, while still having structure and resources around you. Also, many people find that their outlook is really broadened by the college experience. Beyond learning a specific subject matter, you may also learn about taking initiative, seeing new perspectives, thinking critically and other things that will serve you in life.

Part of my concern with the lab tech job would be that if there is a lower bar of entry, the job market could get tight quickly. This has happened to some 2-yr program careers around here (like ultrasound tech for example). The job market became saturated fairly quickly as more 2-yr colleges opened programs. So that is one thing to investigate - how many people are landing jobs right out of school. Don't necessarily take the college's word on it if you can find out directly from someone in the field, etc.

Have you had a chance to shadow a lab tech just to make sure it is something you would really enjoy. If you can, I would really recommend it. I wish I had done that before starting college.

Best of luck to you! It sounds like you have two great options. :D

<sigh>

I see the benefit to both sides. The CC has no cool extracurricular's, but I would be independent faster.

My immediate area has two large hospitals, one medium hospital, and a small specializing hospital (Shriner's). There are also numerous clinics (we live close to downtown) and many doctor's offices within throwing distance. I'm not too worried about finding a job upon graduation as a Technician. I hear more horror stories about Biology majors finding jobs than someone with a specialized degree or certificate.

I've heard many good points to think on. I won't know for sure until Spring when I can see the financial aid package, talk more with the directors of each program, hopefully shadow, and other things. I wish I just knew from a young age what I wanted to do, it would make this much easier :tongue_smilie:

Lab Technician was also named one of the best careers in 2011 (http://money.usnews.com/money/careers/articles/2010/12/06/best-careers-2011-laboratory-technician)

Edited by BeatleMania

I think the CC-then-BA-later makes a lot of sense. You can start working sooner and save up for your next degree, and the debt is lower.

Stephanie,

I think you're on the right track now with keeping your options open.

If you add a couple of 100% needs met schools to your list, and if you're lucky enough to get into one of them, they might end up be cheaper than the CC-BA route and give you the 4-yr college experience, but you won't know until next spring. At that point, you can weigh all of your options and hopefully make the best decision.

Once all the applications are in, you'll enter that anxious "waiting for the mailman" phase. It all seems pretty stressful now, I'm sure, but it will be over sooner than you think. I applaud you in thinking ahead about the options now.

Best wishes and prayers for peace!

Brenda

I think the CC-then-BA-later makes a lot of sense. You can start working sooner and save up for your next degree, and the debt is lower.

Stephanie,

If you add a couple of 100% needs met schools to your list, and if you're lucky enough to get into one of them, they might end up be cheaper than the CC-BA route, but you won't know until next spring. At that point, you can weigh all of your options and hopefully make the best decision.

Once all the applications are in, you'll enter that anxious "waiting for the mailman" phase. It all seems pretty stressful now, I'm sure, but it will be over sooner than you think. I applaud you in thinking ahead about the options now.

Brenda

Stephanie,

If you add a couple of 100% needs met schools to your list, and if you're lucky enough to get into one of them, they might end up be cheaper than the CC-BA route and give you the 4-yr college experience, but you won't know until next spring. At that point, you can weigh all of your options and hopefully make the best decision.

Brenda

The wait until Spring is killing me :glare:

I've been looking into 100% needs met schools, as well.

People keep telling me to aim high - instead of a technical school degree that leads to a very obvious career, I should major in something that won't lead to an obvious job. I understand their reasoning, education is never wasted, but idk, it doesn't seem realistic either.

If I do choose the CC route though, I very much do intend to attend college. I feel like it may be a good route as the pressure would be off me (I would already have training in a well paying and in demand job) and I could also potentially save money. I could possibly even get a degree in something deemed useless but that I find interesting, and who knows, that could lead to a surprise job ;)

Spring seems so far off :glare::tongue_smilie: