Menu

Probably a stupid gas oven question...

It should unless you have one with an automatic gas shut off. Our previous stove was like that and I was glad when it died. Our current stove has an electric pilot but when the power is out we can just light it with a bbq lighter. It says in the owner's manual (in mine anyway). Had a Kenmore, currently a Maytag.

If I turn my gas oven on, and keep it on really low, if the power goes out, will it stay on? We have an electric ignition, so I can't manually light it.

Well, I have lit my gas burners when the power's out and that works fine. But my oven has an electric touchpad to turn it off/on and I don't know if when the power goes out, if it would cut that switch like when you turn it off and turn the gas off in the oven.

If I turn my gas oven on, and keep it on really low, if the power goes out, will it stay on? We have an electric ignition, so I can't manually light it.
No. There is a solenoid for the gas which is wired in series with the electric glow plug. Without electricity, this solenoid will not open to allow the gas to flow, even if the fire is already lit.

My gas oven is supposed to work when the power goes out. When we came through for our final walk-through, the previous owners actually showed us how to use a long match to light the pilot for the oven and also the stove burners. Fortunately we've never had to try it out. The rest of my family REALLY likes fluffernutter sandwiches, so I think I'd be good with not having to cook for a week or so.

What's a fluffernutter sandwich??

No. There is a solenoid for the gas which is wired in series with the electric glow plug. Without electricity, this solenoid will not open to allow the gas to flow, even if the fire is already lit.

Thanks... that's all I needed to know. Turning it off now... I guess I'll braise the chicken French-style on the stovetop instead of oven roasting.

I don't know. I have the same type of oven. What about testing it out? You could just turn it on and unplug the oven and see what happens.

Or flip the circuit breaker so you don't need to climb behind it (I'd have to climb behind mine anyway.).