Menu

You all are starting to make me paranoid about baking with Pyrex...

Have you ever had a glass baking dish explode?  

1. 1. Have you ever had a glass baking dish explode?

• Yes, I've had a glass baking dish explode, but it was my fault for causing a rapid temp change
    • Yes, I've had a glass baking dish explode, but with no known cause
    • No, I've never had a glass baking dish explode
    • Other, please explain

I've had one explode, and it was my own fault, and I'm not even going to go into details because it was incredibly stupid. I managed to have it explode in an upper oven, i.e., at eye level, and fortunately I had these awesome post-partum reflexes and managed to slam the door shut and contain most of the damage (but yes, I still have some permanent burn marks on my floor).

It's happened to me TWICE! What a mess! It breaks into a million beads and they go everywhere in the oven, along with the food...:glare: Once was a yummy squash casserole that I was so excited about (and not cheap to make...) The other was chicken breasts. I always set the dish on the stove while the oven is preheating, so it's not like it's a huge temp change when it goes in. So, I'm not sure why it happened.

I've had a "completely not my fault" explosion.

My DH and I were laying in bed, and we heard what sounded like a gunshot. We spent half an hour trying to figure out what it was before we went back to bed. When I opened my cabinet to make breakfast, glass fell all over. It was a mixing bowl with a pour spout and handle that I mostly used to mix up pancake batter. It had never been in the oven or the freezer or anything. It had probably been in the dishwasher 2 or 3 times, but that's it. It was sitting on a shelf all by itself, so there was nothing stacked on it.

It exploded into hundreds (thousands?) of tiny pieces plus a few larger chunks.

I can't remember if it was Pyrex brand (and there werent big enough pieces to tell) so it might have been a knockoff.

I still use some Pyrex , but I'm a bit nervous about it.

Guest submarines

I accidently left an empty glass tray in the oven, and then turned the oven on. Yep, it exploded. This hasn't stopped me from baking in pyrex, though. :lol:

Guest submarines
I've had one explode, and it was my own fault, and I'm not even going to go into details because it was incredibly stupid. I managed to have it explode in an upper oven, i.e., at eye level, and fortunately I had these awesome post-partum reflexes and managed to slam the door shut and contain most of the damage (but yes, I still have some permanent burn marks on my floor).

Wow, my explosion happened postpartum too! Due to being incredibly stupid as well, but I just posted about it.

When I first read your post, I thought you still had permanent burn marks on your face (shudder!). I'm so relieved it was just the floor! :grouphug: