Menu

UPDATE on upset mom with teenage daughter diagnosed with depression **

I wanted to say thank you to all the posters and their kind words, virtual hugs, and excellent suggestions. My dd has had 3 sessions with a psychotherapist, and saw the psychiatrist in the practice group today. He has placed her on Prozac 10 mg, and also believes she has ADD. We will follow-up with him in 4 weeks, and continue to see the therapist once a week or once every other week.

Here's my original post from July:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296073&highlight=upset+mom+with+teenage+daughter+depression

That's great! Is she feeling any better?

Today was the first day of Prozac, so the anti-depressive effects haven't kicked in yet - The doctor said to give it 1 to 2 weeks, and she should feel a lot better.

Both the therapist and M.D. told me my dd is open and honest with them, and a delight to talk to, so at least we have that positive feedback!

Today she jokingly said to me, "Mommy, I'm not crazy - I'm just mental!" :D

She was relieved that a medical profession could recognize the signs and symptoms that have been right there under my nose all these years, and give them an official diagnosis. The articles he showed me on ADD and depression fit her to a "T."

I just wanted to say that you should be very proud of yourself for getting her the help. I suffered from depression for all of my teen years and into my twenties, and I never knew until I was almost thirty - I thought everyone felt like that. When I broached the topic with my parents as a teen, I was accused of always creating drama, and punished severely. (Suffice to say I moved out VERY early.) Good for you for taking your daughter seriously!

What I still find puzzling is that both of my parents had struggled with depression themselves for decades.