Menu

How do you deal with burn out?

School, school, school, school, and more school! :ack2: Even on the weekends I am still working on school stuff. What do you do when you need a short break?

And yes, I am working on getting more organized so that school isn't 24/7 on my mind. :tongue_smilie:

Things I did that have helped.

*Do nothing after a certain time at night. It can be 8:00, 9:00 whatever. I mean nothing, not even folding clothes. You need a physical break.

*Do nothing for school on the weekend. It doesn't matter what needs to be graded or what needs to be caught up on, do nothing school related. The bell rings Friday afternoon and you drop it all.

*Get your own hobby. I run and do yoga. That is just for me and doesn't involve school! I sign up for a couple of races a year, just to have a plan and focus that doesn't involve the kids.

*Have date nights. If you can do it, it's nice to feel like a married adult again and not just a school mom.

*Use curriculum that you like and makes your life easier. We've switched to less teacher intensive, more text-book like stuff. It has made a big difference.

Those are just a few ideas. Teaching your kids at home is very intense. Give yourself a break. :001_smile:

Hi, just wanted to join the thread here. I'm going thru massive burn-out this week. We school year-round and we haven't taken a break in a while. I think the best thing to do is take a week off from school. It's really hot here, we can't go outside and my husband works 70-80 hours a week. This is all usually not a big deal, but the burn-out is HERE. :D

I actually am going to drive to Illinois in a couple of weeks to visit family. I hope that helps.

Another thing that helps is to take a curriculum break and spend a week doing projects, building knex, painting, etc. My son cried during school yesterday, so I think the kids need a break, too. Ugh. The hazards of year-round homeschooling...

Things I did that have helped.

*Do nothing after a certain time at night. It can be 8:00, 9:00 whatever. I mean nothing, not even folding clothes. You need a physical break.

*Do nothing for school on the weekend. It doesn't matter what needs to be graded or what needs to be caught up on, do nothing school related. The bell rings Friday afternoon and you drop it all.

*Get your own hobby. I run and do yoga. That is just for me and doesn't involve school! I sign up for a couple of races a year, just to have a plan and focus that doesn't involve the kids.

*Have date nights. If you can do it, it's nice to feel like a married adult again and not just a school mom.

*Use curriculum that you like and makes your life easier. We've switched to less teacher intensive, more text-book like stuff. It has made a big difference.

Those are just a few ideas. Teaching your kids at home is very intense. Give yourself a break. :001_smile:

These are great suggestions! I usually do these kinds of things when I'm burned out on photography. :)

:iagree:The one thing I allow myself is to read some inspirational stuff about homeschooling, not mundane, day-to-day planning/grading.

Yes, taking up quilting again has been a breath of fresh air after primarily identifying as a wife, mom and homeschooler for years. Also, I urge you to try yoga. It is incredible what it can do for your sense of calm. If you have Netflix instant, check out the Candlelight Yoga. It is transformative!

:iagree:I have actually been more burnt out by non-stop parenting than by homeschooling (deployments and incessant absences due to the Army). The reason is irrelevant though. The above suggestions were basically what I did to help.

I would add self-care. I ordered a bunch of bath bombs from Lush when I was at the height of burn-out and, no joke, I alternated days of exercise with days of luxurious 1-2 hour bubble baths. I read novels, watched Jane Austen movies, and didn't do anything when I didn't feel like doing anything after hours. All day long I was still Mom, but after the kids hit the hay, I was lazy with a capital L. :lol: Also, eat fresh and healthy and take your vitamins. When I was at my lowest, I found out my thyroid and Vit D were low. Taking care of those things has made an enormous difference in my energy and attitude.

If you find you are burned out on curriculum, add something different and fun--nature study, tea and poetry, fun supplements. Don't forget to read aloud daily if you enjoy it. I find it very calming for all of us.

Oh, and quiet time. I have my kids up to 2 hours of quiet time. If they are exceptionally well-behaved for the first hour, they get the second hour together in one of their rooms or the playroom.

I'm :bigear: for more ideas. I'm all about prevention now. :D