Menu

Stomach pain

Help, Dr. Hive!

We started eating low carb last week. My husband is doing induction, I am staying around 100 g carbs a day because I am breastfeeding.

My stomach hurts. A lot. Is this related? It's lower abdominal and back pain. I've tried messing with adding foods in and out and nada.

Help! This is getting old (and painful).

I've had nausea but don't recall ever experiencing stomach pain from it.

I assume you aren't using anything w/ sugar alcohols (malitol, sorbitol, erythritol, xylitol, etc.) because those can cause GI upset (but that's usually crampiness and-TMI- loose stools).

I'm not, and I'm not having any stool issues.

Just pain. :(

Help, Dr. Hive!

We started eating low carb last week. My husband is doing induction, I am staying around 100 g carbs a day because I am breastfeeding.

My stomach hurts. A lot. Is this related? It's lower abdominal and back pain. I've tried messing with adding foods in and out and nada.

Help! This is getting old (and painful).

May sound silly, but are you eating anything NEW or DIFFERENT now that you are "lower carb"?

And.....are you eating often enough? Lower carb and BFing, I would be eating something every hour. Not anything big, but something to avoid the stomach being empty. I get cramping pain and "feel sick" when my blood sugar gets low. A small snack every hour can help level that out.

With the back pain, you might want to get checked for a possible UTI or kidney infection.

:iagree:

It doesn't ring in my mind as typical experience people have when they start LCing. That doesn't mean it can't be from changing what you are eating though. It might be worth getting checked or keeping a very close eye out. I hope you get some relief soon.

eta: make sure you are drinking enough as well.

Yeah, anything with a lot of gluten? Some LC breads/tortillas/wraps, etc. add extra gluten for texture and protein and I know I can't handle that, and I'm not celiac. It feels like a brick in my stomach.

I don't use any of the LC recipes that call for something like 1/4 or 1/3 cup of VWG. I feel awful if I eat it. Like I have a brick just sitting there in my stomach :(

I had to go lower carb when I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes a few months ago. The first two weeks I had horrible stomach cramping and several bouts of diarrhea (TMI, I know). I'm not sure if they were related but it happened around the same time I began eating lower carb.