Menu

alternativing math and phonics -- yes or no?

momma aimee

I am finding that DS1 Kindy does much better -- if we do say a full phonics lesson and then just a math review, then the next day a full math lesson and a phonics pratice -- if we do both full lessons then it is too much for DS1....

I was planning, and trying, to alternate days -- with a full lesson of one and a pratice / review of the other -- but now I wonder if i shuld alternate weeks instead. a full week of phonics lessons, with math games or reading, and then a full week of Math lessons with phonics games and reviews?

I am just unsure -- by day or by week?

Thoughts?

sorry first time gitters:001_huh:

Aimee

Edited by momma aimee

Is it too much because you are trying to do it in one sitting? You might break it up through the day.

Otherwise, I just don't think you can go wrong. You could focus on phonics if you have a child who is eager to read and just "play" with math concepts. Or vice versa. Or switch off daily...or weekly. Really, it's all good. I would probably just make my plans with what has been working. Go with every other day for now if that seems to work well for you and your ds.

My preference is to continue moving forward in both by breaking up the lessons to different parts of the day and even breaking one lesson up into two days if needed. I like a slow progressive increase in knowledge and skill.

That's just my preference for my child though. I think ultimately you need to do what works best for you and your dc.

I was a strong believe in daily reading and math lessons until I realized that DS5 was actually processing things during breaks. We have taken a couple of one week breaks from reading lessons and he comes back at a much higher level than when we last had a lesson. It is like his mind processes things when it just has time to relax. Honestly, I say you try both ways and sees what works best for your DC. I don't think either plan is better or worse than the other. It just depends on what works best in your family for that particular child!

I don't think it matters at that age. I'd do what seems to work best for him. If he's doing well with the every other day and retaining I'd stick with it. If you think the weekly rotate might work better for you or him try it. I think the only way you can mess up at this age is making it unpleasant honestly. Go at his pace and pull back as needed is my advice. You want it pleasant.

I've got a child like that. I was really lax at that age and I'm glad I did it that way. He's gotten better with age but I still don't get through a whole math lesson in a day typically because of attention and, at this age, that's with splitting it up throughout the day. It's ok. This is partly why homeschooling is so great for special needs.

Edited by sbgrace

I am not even doing a formal Math right now, so I say do what he can handle. We are just following the sequence in What your K'er Needs to Know and when hes ready we will start Math Mammoth 1.

I think especially if you are doing a math review on phonics days that you are doing fine!

I was a strong believe in daily reading and math lessons until I realized that DS5 was actually processing things during breaks. We have taken a couple of one week breaks from reading lessons and he comes back at a much higher level than when we last had a lesson. It is like his mind processes things when it just has time to relax. Honestly, I say you try both ways and sees what works best for your DC. I don't think either plan is better or worse than the other. It just depends on what works best in your family for that particular child!

:iagree:

For K, that sounds perfectly fine. :) I'm wondering how long your lessons are. I do about 10-15 minutes with my wiggly boy on phonics or math. He's still 4 now, so we don't usually do both in the same day (and not everyday), but he can do both as long as they're both about 10 minutes. That is enough for a K level lesson with the materials we're using (where there aren't scheduled "lessons" - we just do the next thing and stop when we want). Perhaps you could use your curriculum in that manner. Just put a marker where you stopped, and pick up there the next day. Set your timer for 10 or 15 minutes, then stop that subject even if you haven't finished a full "lesson".

For K, that sounds perfectly fine. :) I'm wondering how long your lessons are. I do about 10-15 minutes with my wiggly boy on phonics or math. He's still 4 now, so we don't usually do both in the same day (and not everyday), but he can do both as long as they're both about 10 minutes. That is enough for a K level lesson with the materials we're using (where there aren't scheduled "lessons" - we just do the next thing and stop when we want). Perhaps you could use your curriculum in that manner. Just put a marker where you stopped, and pick up there the next day. Set your timer for 10 or 15 minutes, then stop that subject even if you haven't finished a full "lesson".

they are 30 to 45 minutes, but i stip (wrap up and stop) if he gets silly or spacey. so generally the time is set by him (he does NOT know this). I am surprised too that he can go 45 minutes -- but, also, it is NOT all book work. Maybe 7 minuts of "paper work" (often white board) to 20 minutes or 25 minutes of verbal, game and interactive (momma with white board).

good thought and that is how Phonics is, but :tongue_smilie:***I*** have more trouble with phonice, what to do, how much, and so on -- sad, huh?

AImee

I alternate with dd4 (5 in a few weeks). I started doing it in January because she demanded to do more school. We do a day of Phonics Road 1 (or half a day depending on how she's doing) and a read aloud on two days. We do a lesson of CLE Math 100 and a read aloud on the other days. It's working well and she's getting a gentle introduction to more formal work. :)

I alternate with dd4 (5 in a few weeks). I started doing it in January because she demanded to do more school. We do a day of Phonics Road 1 (or half a day depending on how she's doing) and a read aloud on two days. We do a lesson of CLE Math 100 and a read aloud on the other days. It's working well and she's getting a gentle introduction to more formal work. :)

can you tell me more abotu CLE Math 100 ?? or give me a link?