Menu

My turn for "Would You Eat This?"

I'm so bummed! I've been cooking a roast in the crockpot all day, and I just went to check on it (6 hours later) and I accidentally cooked the absorbent plasticky pad that they put on the bottom of meat along with the roast.

It is in one piece, not melted, but I am not sure if we should still eat the roast. Did I mention that I am SO bummed?

So...would you eat it?

I would toss it. :(

You can't eat a turkey if you roast it in a pan with part of the plastic wrapping. I once cooked an absolutely gorgeous and wonderful, moist and juicy turkey and had to toss it when I realized what I'd done.

I still remember that turkey.

The lady at the turkey hotline said the reason you can't it is because the plastic changes and contaminates the food. It just wasn't designed for the prolonged time at high temperatures, coming into contact with the food.

http://dwb.unl.edu/teacher/nsf/c10/c10links/www.fsis.usda.gov/oa/pubs/meatpack.htm

What to do About Packaging Accidentally Cooked in a Conventional Oven?

Plastic packaging materials should not be used at all in conventional ovens. They may catch on fire or melt, causing chemical migration into foods. Sometimes these materials are inadvertently cooked with a product. For example, giblets may be accidentally cooked inside the turkey in their packaging or a beef roast may be cooked with the absorbent pad from the fresh meat packaging underneath.

The giblet bag and the absorbent pad are clearly not intended to be cooked, however if this happens and the packaging materials remain unaltered (that is, do not melt or come apart) the cooked meat will not pose an imminent health hazard. If the packaging materials have melted or changed shape in some other way do not use the product.