Menu

Nakia, how did things go at the allergist?

I'm not Nakia, and I hope she chimes in here, but it wasn't an allergy. Her dd has/had some sort of virus, which, while serious is just a virus. [Nakia, I hope I didn't step on your toes, but I have to say, I was pretty concerned and was so relieved when I heard it wasn't life threatening allergies I answered Swellmomma. :001_smile:]

I'm not Nakia, and I hope she chimes in here, but it wasn't an allergy. Her dd has/had some sort of virus, which, while serious is just a virus. [Nakia, I hope I didn't step on your toes, but I have to say, I was pretty concerned and was so relieved when I heard it wasn't life threatening allergies I answered Swellmomma. :001_smile:]

Awesome! That's what I had been hoping they would find out.

Hi! Thanks for remembering, Brandy, and thanks for chiming in, Pam. You girls are so awesome! Yes, we got a very good and reassuring report. Just as our pediatrician suspected, it is not an allergy. It is idiopathic uticaria with angioedema, probably caused by a virus of some kind. The allergist said about 10% of population has it. He also said she will probably have it again the next time her body is stressed in any way, by illness, emotional stuff, heat, etc. Unfortunately, this could go on for years. But he gave us good advice for what to do for future outbreaks. The swelling throat, tongue, and diarrhea were caused by the angioedema, which is just deeper tissue swelling. So, while this will be annoying, we can relax and know she is fine! Thank God!!

Again, thanks for asking and all the thoughts and prayers. In a way, you all have been more supportive and caring than people I know IRL. I really appreciate you all. :001_smile:

I'm so glad this isn't a lifelong food allergy! I hope it doesn't last for years though. I've never heard of this. Can it be life threatening the way a food allergy can? Does it interfere with her breathing? What crazy things our bodies do sometimes!

No, it's not like a food allergy in that it does not cause an anaphylactic reaction. Rarely, severe angioedema can cause airway restriction, but again, it is very very rare. If we treat it with antihistamines at the first sign, she will be fine. And her biggest problem was the hives.; the angioedema she had was of the lips and face. Yes, our bodies do some crazy things for sure!

I'm sorry she got a virus (how did she get it??). But, I am soooo relieved it isn't a food allergy!!!

We have no idea what the virus is. We will probably never know. She does have a cold, and that could be it. He said the virus usually happens anytime 2 weeks before to 2 weeks after the uticaria starts. Her cold symptoms started 6 days after the lip swelling started. It is a very strange thing!