Menu

How do you dress in your 40's?

She also had a book called How Not to Look Old that I think is even better than this one.

Audrey, yes, I really like her other book also.

I also don't/didn't watch Oprah much anymore. Thanks for the link. :)

I'm 39 and think I finally have a good sense as to what looks good on me -- very tailored, almost severe styles; absolutely no v-necks or sleeveless -- but I just can't find it.

Jenny, I loathe shopping in most stores in the U.S. :glare: I hardly ever go to the U.K. but shopping there is for me as easy as pie. Clothes shopping in the U.S. gives me one giant headache.

Have you tried online shopping? I have better luck there.

Also, some good/bigger stores like Macys, etc.I would try to go at times when it's less likely to be busy. Some of these stores have personal shoppers.

Coldwater Creek has an incredibly helpful staff.

That book I linked has fabulous and very specific suggestions for both online and store shopping. Even Macys online can be good.

Bootcut pants are great. You're on the right track. :D

Is your workplace very formal?

Sneakers, mom jeans, t-shirts...same as I do in my 50s. Maybe I am not the person to ask!!!

:lol:

I like colours so while my clothes can be fairly ordinary like jeans and simple tops, I like to use daily colour therapy :) So I really like sunny yellow and can wear it (I know some people cant), apricot orange, coral pink, turquoise and royal purple...more pastels in summer. But I like fresh, alive looking colours and rarely wear black or grey, and if I wear white I will wear a coloured scarf with it.

I am not fashionable but collect clothes I enjoy wearing. I also don't wear synthetics- I love cotton, silk and wool. I like long cotton dresses in summer and rarely wear anything much above the knee.

I see young people wearing strange, dark coloured clothes, synthetic stuff...layers...I don't dress like young people, but i dont' dress "old" either.

I like colours so while my clothes can be fairly ordinary like jeans and simple tops, I like to use daily colour therapy :) So I really like sunny yellow and can wear it (I know some people cant), apricot orange, coral pink, turquoise and royal purple...more pastels in summer. But I like fresh, alive looking colours and rarely wear black or grey, and if I wear white I will wear a coloured scarf with it.

Peela, I used to have a swatch from "Color Me Beautiful" and miss it. Lost it (along with lots of other stuff in a hurricane). I was really into the right colors and still am. Sounds like you're a spring? I'm a winter. I believe in this stuff and always feel better in the right shades. Sometimes, it's hard, however. I find the right outfit and it's the wrong color OR vice versa. I'm so tired of clothes being black, brown, gray, etc.

Peela, I used to have a swatch from "Color Me Beautiful" and miss it. Lost it (along with lots of other stuff in a hurricane). I was really into the right colors and still am. Sounds like you're a spring? I'm a winter. I believe in this stuff and always feel better in the right shades. Sometimes, it's hard, however. I find the right outfit and it's the wrong color OR vice versa. I'm so tired of clothes being black, brown, gray, etc.

I do like certain colors but mainly the ones that work well on me. I look good in various blues and greens (muted and deep) because they bring out those colors in my eyes. Some shades of purple work look nice as well. A little robin egg blue looks nice as well. No yellow -- no orange -- but sometimes a little red/pink.

Having fair skin, I look good in black and my auburn hair makes the browns look good.

I just don't like wearing colors on the bottom. Some fun skirts are fine with mixed colors, but no solid colors.

Jenny, I loathe shopping in most stores in the U.S. :glare: I hardly ever go to the U.K. but shopping there is for me as easy as pie. Clothes shopping in the U.S. gives me one giant headache.

Have you tried online shopping? I have better luck there.

Also, some good/bigger stores like Macys, etc.I would try to go at times when it's less likely to be busy. Some of these stores have personal shoppers.

Coldwater Creek has an incredibly helpful staff.

That book I linked has fabulous and very specific suggestions for both online and store shopping. Even Macys online can be good.

Bootcut pants are great. You're on the right track. :D

Is your workplace very formal?

:lol:

No, not terribly formal, but I need to look professional. Anything from slacks/dressy top to a pantsuit would be appropriate. I actually tried a few things on from Coldwater Creek that looked promising on the hanger but looked dowdy on me.

After actually going into work I have realized that I could also wear dresses, which are somewhat easier to buy (sheath dresses almost always look good on me) EXCEPT for the fact that pantyhose seem to have gone out of style entirely, and there is no way in the world that I am going barelegged with my blindingly white legs, not to mention the spider veins (thanks Mom!). Once winter comes I can wear tights, though, and that should open up some more options.

I am definitely going to try online!

Having fair skin, I look good in black and my auburn hair makes the browns look good.

Dawn, is your hair naturally auburn? If so, you most likely are an autumn. :)

helloautumn-banner1.jpg

The colors you listed - most of them - if my memory serves me correctly, look great on you.

Gosh, I really miss that book and my swatch. It's my all-time favorite color book and I used to read it voraciously. :)

No, not terribly formal, but I need to look professional. Anything from slacks/dressy top to a pantsuit would be appropriate. I actually tried a few things on from Coldwater Creek that looked promising on the hanger but looked dowdy on me.

After actually going into work I have realized that I could also wear dresses, which are somewhat easier to buy (sheath dresses almost always look good on me) EXCEPT for the fact that pantyhose seem to have gone out of style entirely, and there is no way in the world that I am going barelegged with my blindingly white legs, not to mention the spider veins (thanks Mom!). Once winter comes I can wear tights, though, and that should open up some more options.

Jenny, no need to reply if you're busy, etc. Just some quick thoughts:

1. Slacks/dressy top/Pantsuit/Dresses - also try Macy's or similar stores and go at less crowded times when you're more likely to get helpful service.

2. Talbot's might be another option, although I've never had luck with them. As well as Ann Taylor or Ann Taylor Loft, etc. I like both Ann Taylors.

3. You're not going to like this and I never do - but if things don't fit right, and they seldom do on most of us, you may really and truly need to get a tailor to fit things right. It costs a bit more, but it's well worth it. Clothes that fit right are what really and truly matter. I have learned this very reluctantly (not that I can always follow it) from years of experience and watching shows like "What Not to Wear" and Tim Gunn.

4. Since I live in the tropics and no one really wears hose at all ever, I was confused when I kept reading that hose is out. Now I get it. So, it's okay to wear pantyhose in the winter, right? Well, thank goodness for that! :lol:

5. All the stores mentioned above should have good online options also.

Good luck and let us know how it went or is going if you feel like it and have time.

My dd would love to go shopping with you. She LOVES fashion, shopping, and giving advice. She makes clothes and has already had her stuff shown in a fashion show here. :)

Edited by Negin in Grenada

If you want to wear hose, wear hose. Make it a good brand that doesn't look like orthopedic hose and you'll be fine.

Personally, I'd rather get a bronzer for those white legs. :D Or longer skirts so not much leg shows.

I second New York and Company for slacks. Love mine. But unless you are a skinny young thing, avoid the tops. They fit on me...but they don't flatter me. Ya know?

I like Macy's, too, and have had the same experience at Coldwater creek....I want to love their clothes, but they fit like old lady clothes. With care and work, you can find something, but it's a challenge.

I can't possibly shop online except for a brand and style that I've purchased before in real life. My body is not easily fit. lol

One of my guilty pleasures is InStyle Magazine. There's something about looking at it that keeps my eye fresher...so I stay out of the old lady clothes at the store.

I third the "how not to look old' book.

I had a lot of success at JC Penny -- they had great career wear, fun skirts and lots of tops to choose from.

Embrace your paleness. I am pale, and I wear skirts a few inches below the knee. I would still wear hose too, though.

In the fall, black tights would look great too. Oh, I don't like brown hose -- creamy worked well for me.

Edited by nestof3

Yea, I used to follow that, and I believe I am mostly autumn with some spring.

Dawn, is your hair naturally auburn? If so, you most likely are an autumn. :)

helloautumn-banner1.jpg

The colors you listed - most of them - if my memory serves me correctly, look great on you.

Gosh, I really miss that book and my swatch. It's my all-time favorite color book and I used to read it voraciously. :)

Jenny, no need to reply if you're busy, etc. Just some quick thoughts:

1. Slacks/dressy top/Pantsuit/Dresses - also try Macy's or similar stores and go at less crowded times when you're more likely to get helpful service.

2. Talbot's might be another option, although I've never had luck with them. As well as Ann Taylor or Ann Taylor Loft, etc. I like both Ann Taylors.

3. You're not going to like this and I never do - but if things don't fit right, and they seldom do on most of us, you may really and truly need to get a tailor to fit things right. It costs a bit more, but it's well worth it. Clothes that fit right are what really and truly matter. I have learned this very reluctantly (not that I can always follow it) from years of experience and watching shows like "What Not to Wear" and Tim Gunn.

4. Since I live in the tropics and no one really wears hose at all ever, I was confused when I kept reading that hose is out. Now I get it. So, it's okay to wear pantyhose in the winter, right? Well, thank goodness for that! :lol:

5. All the stores mentioned above should have good online options also.

Good luck and let us know how it went or is going if you feel like it and have time.

My dd would love to go shopping with you. She LOVES fashion, shopping, and giving advice. She makes clothes and has already had her stuff shown in a fashion show here. :)

White House/Black Market.

I purchase the majority of my clothes from this store. I also like Ann Taylor, but we only have Ann Taylor Loft locally. Their things are "okay," but I am not super keen on their quality - much prefer Ann Taylor.

Talbots has recently updated their style so that their clothes are not so matronly.

Fit-wise, I do best at WHBM. I am small, but not really petite as I am long in the stride. Their clothes fit me quite well.

Edited by Hoggirl

Right now I wear the same thing everyday (I have multiples of them) black Old Navy soft cotton t's, denim capris and black flip flops. Boring I know but I can dress it up with accessories and makeup if I wish to or run out the door with no make up and a pony tail. I don't like dresses and only wear them to formal functions. Skirts are not in my closet and haven't been in many years. In the winter it becomes jeans, my favorite black boots, and a black top of some kind. I occasionally go with brown.

If you want to wear hose, wear hose. Make it a good brand that doesn't look like orthopedic hose and you'll be fine.

Personally, I'd rather get a bronzer for those white legs.

:iagree:

Although I've never had success with a bronzer. Mind you, the reason may be that the last time I tried one was about 20 years ago. I'm sure they've improved.

I second New York and Company for slacks.

I like Macy's, too, and have had the same experience at Coldwater creek....I want to love their clothes, but they fit like old lady clothes. With care and work, you can find something, but it's a challenge.

Yes, I also love my New York and Company slacks.

You've hit it right on the nail about fit at Coldwater Creek. I wish they had better fit. I do have a gorgeous skirt & top from there and I have a horrible, horrible time finding a well-fitting nice skirt and top. BTW, I cannot stand it when skirts are sold without matching tops or "suggested" matching tops. :glare:

One of my guilty pleasures is InStyle Magazine. There's something about looking at it that keeps my eye fresher...so I stay out of the old lady clothes at the store.

I third the "how not to look old' book.

My fashionista dd LOVES In Style. Sadly, very sadly, Grenada no longer brings in ANY magazines. None. :glare: Yesterday, a friend arrived from the U.S. and brought her an issue. She's in heaven.

I also love the How Not to Look Old book. Although I do prefer her other one if I had to choose. I love both books.

I'm constantly working on becoming more clothes/style-conscious. Getting rid of some frumpy clothes and boxy T-shirts, particularly those I wear during the day or while teaching the kids. I love comfort, but oftentimes comfort can go a bit too far if you KWIM :tongue_smilie:. Dd wishes that I would get rid of all my capris. Her wish is very slowly, ever so slowly, being granted. :D

My wish is to always be stylish enough so that I don't get all flustered when anyone rings the doorbell or I run into someone near our home. ;)