Menu

I have Logic Countdown in my hands.

ChrissySC

I am impressed. I failed to truly relate the content based on the Contents page.

As I have mentioned, most puzzle-type books do not impress me, and I often fail to understand the concept. However, this seems to be very appropriate in demonstrating analogies, relationships, syllogisms, sequencing, if-then statements, deduction, and inference in a manner that is not remedial but applicable to a child.

The lessons use those groups, statements, and examples of those concepts and ideas that are familiar to the child. That is to say that they use letters of the alphabet, directional placement, everyday toys, foods, beverages, et cetera.

So, I would start with Logic Countdown. I cannot see skipping this book. IMO, I find that you could start as late as the fifth (perhaps even the sixth) for a child that has not had any logic study. I also think that a third grader would have no problem understanding and reading the text.

I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of coverage and subject content. I like a simple approach to this topic at this age, and this fits us - without nonsensical puzzling that is.

:iagree:

DS11 is entering 6th grade this year. We have used logic type puzzles, thinking puzzles, mazes, etc in the past. While he enjoyed them, did great with them... it seemed to be much of the same over and over and over... without really developing the thought processes used to work the puzzles in the first place. When I came across this series though I felt it was a great overall beginning to developing logical and reasoning skills.

We will begin with Logic Countdown as well and work through the series this year. Even though much of this first book will be fairly easy for him, I think it will be good to start at the beginning of their progression of skills.

Enjoy!

Thank you for this review. I have it on my list to order today and was waffling as to whether it could be crossed off/considered unnecessary. So this was timely-thanks!

If you have a specific question, toss me a pm, especially if it deals directly with content. I do not want to violate any copyright. :lol:

We enjoyed Countdown last year as well. My then 4th grader did it with no problem. I'm moving him to the next one up this year and starting my new 4th grader in Countdown. I think they are really well done!

We haven't done Safari, so can't comment on that. Are those for younger kids?