Menu

Do you have a balance scale? Do you want one? Would you use it?

Shellydon

I have three plastic balance scales, and I've donated several in the past! I used K12 when my girls were younger, and I think they sent us a plastic balance scale just about every year with our materials. I also have ziplock bags full of the gram cubes that go with the scales!

To be honest, I'm not sure we ever used the scales for school. Instead, my little ones have enjoyed playing with it when the older ones are working. It's the only reason I've kept them. I keep thinking I've donated them all except for one, and then I'll find another. Maybe they're multiplying on their own in my cabinets! ;)

The only reason I know I have three right now is because I just cleared out a bunch of storage cabinets and found them. :lol:

I have one that can be both the pans and the deeper bins that came with a set of weights, and DD LOVES playing with it-I think she's weighed almost every toy she has, and likes making comparisons like "Sleeping Beauty weighs more than Barbie!"

She was a little frustrated when she discovered that she couldn't really balance equations on it, like Hands on Equations shows ;).

I have three plastic balance scales, and I've donated several in the past! I used K12 when my girls were younger, and I think they sent us a plastic balance scale just about every year with our materials. I also have ziplock bags full of the gram cubes that go with the scales!

To be honest, I'm not sure we ever used the scales for school. Instead, my little ones have enjoyed playing with it when the older ones are working. It's the only reason I've kept them. I keep thinking I've donated them all except for one, and then I'll find another. Maybe they're multiplying on their own in my cabinets! ;)

The only reason I know I have three right now is because I just cleared out a bunch of storage cabinets and found them. :lol:

Want to donate them to me :D

I am not planning on using it for schooling, but ds4.5 made his own balance scale with a jump-rope and trick-or-treat buckets with the play table as the fulcrum. And it worked! So I would like to get one just so he could explore and experiment wit it.

Thanks for sharing! I don't know why we haven't thought of making one ourselves. With all of the strange little things we collect around here I must have something I can use to make one.

I think she's weighed almost every toy she has, and likes making comparisons like "Sleeping Beauty weighs more than Barbie!".

:lol: Even Sleeping Beauty can't quite live up to Barbie's perfect standards! (sorry, I couldn't resist)

:lol: Even Sleeping Beauty can't quite live up to Barbie's perfect standards! (sorry, I couldn't resist)

:lol: That made me giggle!

I think my boys would love playing with one too, but I keep delaying buying one. Maybe I should just for the distracting properties.

We made a giant one and used it to prove that invisible gas from a chemical reaction exists (do this one in a well-ventilated room!).

We made ours from a yardstick, masking tape, string, and two large paper shopping bags with handles.

For the experiment, we used a very deep, narrow trash can, and large quantities of baking soda and vinegar.

First we taped a string to the balance point of the yardstick alone (where it will balance evenly with nothing on it or touching it but the string).

Next, we taped the handles of the shopping bags so that the bags were wide open on either end of the yard stick, and the stick would still balance when held only by the center string-- this takes some patience, but it worth the time to get it correct.

Finally, we suspended our balance from the corner of a kitchen cabinet, so that the yardstick and bags were hanging freely-- neither the stick nor bags were touching anything, and all were in balance.

Homemade balance!!

Now for the experiment: (in a well-ventilated room, preferably near an open door or window):

Into the very tall, narrow trashcan, we dumped large amounts of baking soda, shaking it around to spread it evenly across the bottom surface of the can. Then we added a large amount of white vinegar, and let it bubble away for about 30 seconds. Is this gas real? Is it heavier than air? Does it have weight by itself?

Let's find out!

Carefully tip the garbage can over just one of the open grocery bags, being careful to pour the gas (which you cannot see or smell) into the bag. DO NOT allow the liquid to pour into the bag or the experiment will be invalid.

Did your scale respond? How did it respond? What does this mean? Did you really produce gas? If so, is it heavier or lighter than the air in the room? How do you know?

Why is it important to use a tall, skinny vessel in your experiment? Why is it important to pour out the gas after 30 seconds, instead of 10 or 30 minutes? Why is it important to not pour in any of the liquid? Why is it (VERY VERY VERY) important to do this experiment where there is excellent ventilation to the outdoors?

It's a fun experiment :)

Bonus: Your trash can is now clean and smells better!

==========================

There are many fun experiments to do with balances.

Which of these shaped containers do you think holds more water?

Which of these liquids (or solids) of the same size do you think is heavier? Why?

If this is 1/4 of that, how many of these do we have to put in the bucket in order to balance one of those?

What weighs more, 15 green leaves, or 15 of the same brown leaves? Why? What is missing from the leaves?

The possibilities are endless-- and cover every single branch of science, including mathematics, biology, chemistry, physics, animal science, you name it!

We used it a good bit for math back when we were doing MEP because they ask for a lot of balance equations in the first grade curriculum. The kids found it really useful... We've used it a few other times, but that was the biggest use it got. But it was pretty cheap, so I'd say worth it so far.

I had a cheap one for my boys because we used it in Singapore Early Bird a few times. Then they played with it so much they broke it. I just bought a bit sturdier one for my DD for Kindy and she's already playing with it! So, I buy them to use a few times in the curriculum but then it becomes a fun toy, lol.