Menu

Grade levels and pleasing evaluators.... long....

I've written before on something similar to this... my son, 14 1/2, will be starting eight grade this year. He is adopted and began school late (was nearly seven). He had some early developmental issues that are clear, now. He has made great strides in catching up. But I'm worried about listing him as a 7th grader in his evals because we used lower grade levels. He still has some health issues, weighs 85 lbs. 5'5" and has very low blood pressure, passes out sometimes, tires easily.

Evaluating hasn't been a problem in the past as my evaluator has known him since kindergarden. She recently moved away so I need to find a new person. How do I explain the different curriculum levels we're using without embarrassing my son? Even if I don't mention the level of the curriculum, certainly she'll see that it isn't 7th grade. Here is what he's completed:

Saxon Math 65 (he's doing TT Pre-Algebra next) Average grade 90

School of Tomorrow Paces Grammar 5th grade (repeated from last year)

School of Tomorrow Word Study 6th grade

Story of the World, History

Calvert Physical Science *an old paperback reader* did experiments with his older sister

Readers from the Library, and literary discussions with me, he hates reading.

Mavis Beaon Typing, does well

So basically all six grade. He's \ made great strides. Not great enough to do 9th grade but great enough for 8th. He does best in math. Very good with fixing our computers.

I hate to go into detail with the evaluator about his physical condition and his slow progress. How do I handle this?

Well it all depends on where you live. Here in Florida the parent is only required to turn in a paper signed by the evaluator that states your child is progressing comisserate with his/her level. I can give you advice for FL but if you live in a region where the requirements are different, I don't know how much it will apply.

If it were me I would keep looking until I found the right evaluator whom I could feel perfectly comfortable explaining the situation to (outside of the hearing of the child being discussed). Here there is a list on our state homeschool website that gives a list of approved evaluators who follow the law and don't try to impose their standards upon your child. My evaluator would be more than fine with your child's education.

Hope you can find a good one in your area!

We're in Florida and I didn't mention what he'll be doing this year. He worked through a few chapters in each, this summer, and he's ready.

TT Pre-Algebra (tested into this)

Apologia General Science

History of Us, books 6-9 (up to 11 if we can)

Grammar Paces, 6th and 7th

Word Study, 8th grade level

Vistas (Literature, 8th grade)

Will be at grade level, except for Grammar.

You mentioned:

I would explain the situation to the evaluator on the phone and ask how to handle it without embarrassing him. Perhaps all they will need is to look at his previous evaluations to see that there is progress.

The evaluations are signed papers indicating that he has progressed to the next level. I've kept them all. But doesn't state anything else. Is this what you mean?

In that case-he doesn't have to be on grade level. I'm sorry if it sounded that way. He has to be progressing on a level commiserate with his ability. There! I got it right that time! You have nothing to worry about. I love the wording of that statute. I mean, who fires the public school staff if your child is in public school and isn't on grade level?

Copies of his work? Absolutely not! Sorry. I get a litte passionate about this subject. You are not required to turn in copies of his work to the public school system. Only the evaluation paper is required and it should be very basic. You can find the info at FPEA.com. The paper should simply state that he is showing progression commiserate with his level of ability, be signed by your evaluator and have her teacher's certification number on it. That's it.

I'm big on not giving the public school more info. than is required. Our homeschooling rights have been fought for very hard and we need to do all we can to preserve those rights. Part of preserving them is not doing anything more than what the law requires. When we offer more, it makes them think they have a right to demand more and can cause problems for other homeschoolers.

Copies of his work? Absolutely not! Sorry. I get a litte passionate about this subject. You are not required to turn in copies of his work to the public school system. Only the evaluation paper is required and it should be very basic. You can find the info at FPEA.com. The paper should simply state that he is showing progression commiserate with his level of ability, be signed by your evaluator and have her teacher's certification number on it. That's it.

I'm big on not giving the public school more info. than is required. Our homeschooling rights have been fought for very hard and we need to do all we can to preserve those rights. Part of preserving them is not doing anything more than what the law requires. When we offer more, it makes them think they have a right to demand more and can cause problems for other homeschoolers.

I think she meant she would show the evaluator copies of his work.

What you need to do, OP, is explain his issues to the evaluator before you see her. Then show her work from the beginning and end of the year, so show the progress he has made. There is nothing in the law about being at a certain grade level. It just says he needs to be making progress, and you said he did. Show her the proof that he made progress, and you are golden.

I think she meant she would show the evaluator copies of his work.

What you need to do, OP, is explain his issues to the evaluator before you see her. Then show her work from the beginning and end of the year, so show the progress he has made. There is nothing in the law about being at a certain grade level. It just says he needs to be making progress, and you said he did. Show her the proof that he made progress, and you are golden.

:iagree:

I don't know what state you're in, but I served as an evaluator for several students last year--and this is exactly what I did. The parent explained to me where the dc started and where they finished up. All I needed to say as an evaluator is that the students demonstrated sufficient progress. Period. Nothing about grade level.

Since you're in Florida, the only thing that needs to be shown is that your son made progress commensurate with his ability. With his ability is the key phrase. Grade level is not required. What he did in years past isn't really the evaluator's business. I don't mean it to sound harsh but it's true. You could use a different evaluator each year and it wouldn't matter. All you need to show the evaluator is samples of work from the beginning, middle, and end of your school year. If you want to say anything, you could simply say "my son has some special needs" when interviewing the evaluator. You can then judge by his or her response if that person is the right evaluator for your son.

This might sound bad, but shop it around. Explain your situation to your chosen evaluator and if she gives you any resistance go to your next choice.

I had some issues with my oldest two girls this year. We started a new curriculum and after taking placement tests I found out they were farther behind then I thought. A couple of grade levels. I was DEVESTATED! A friend told me to put them in where they tested and work from there. I decided to follow her advice and I was amazed at my kids' progress, BUT I still had to have an evaluation done.

I explained everything to my evaluator and she told me I did the best thing for my kids. She signed off with no problems.

I know your fear. I was in the same spot just a few months ago.