Menu

How to prevent bedbugs on used bookshelves?

I recently bought 4 huge bookshelves from the Borders bookstore that is going out of business. I have 4-6 weeks before they will be ready. I am terrified of bringing in some bug. I have no reason to believe there have been any problems with bugs in this bookstore but being as paranoid as I am (I even freeze used books that come into the house), I am wondering what precautions I could take to avoid bringing in any pests? My DH suggested sealing any cracks or seams with clear polyethane sealant after cleaning them well?

I recently bought 4 huge bookshelves from the Borders bookstore that is going out of business. I have 4-6 weeks before they will be ready. I am terrified of bringing in some bug. I have no reason to believe there have been any problems with bugs in this bookstore but being as paranoid as I am (I even freeze used books that come into the house), I am wondering what precautions I could take to avoid bringing in any pests? My DH suggested sealing any cracks or seams with clear polyethane sealant after cleaning them well?

I know last year in New York City, bedbugs were in a lot of high-end department stores. They were also in many libraries at that time. I haven't heard as much recently, but that doesn't mean the issues aren't still there and used furniture is a classic way to get bedbugs, so you're smart to be concerned.

The bugs don't necessarily like warm soft places--they are happy to live in the crevices of furniture and in electrical sockets.

If you're willing to do the work, I like your dh's idea. Clean the bookcases as best you can (to get rid of any eggs on the outside of the furniture) and seal all the cracks. Bedbugs are about the size of an apple seed when they're grown, and smaller when they're babies, so they can squeeze into tiny places. They do not have teeth to chew through things,, so once they're sealed in, they're stuck.

I had bedbugs last September (dh brought them home from a hotel trip to New York) and the work to get rid of them was enormous and the price was $1000. And that was after Ninja Bug Guy charged me only half of his normal fee. Much cheaper to seal up the cracks!