Menu

Rod & Staff English Users

I use RS writing lessons that I like and then use other writing programs such as WriteSource and Format Writing. This year for my 7th grader and 4th grader I am taking some ideas from TOG (we used it several years ago in our family) and am doing a Civil War newspaper and a state notebook. I am adding in some RS writing and WriteSource. I'm still working on what to do with my 11th grader.

Linda

I just mentioned in another thread that I listened to SWB's audio, "A Plan for Teaching Writing: Focus on the Middle Grades", and in the lecture she suggests that very thing. If I were going to continue with R&S, that is exactly what I'd do. We're hopping over to PHP for grammar and writing as of this year.

Blessings,

Lucinda

We skip too. Grammar three days a week and writing two days a week - we use different writing instruction. :)

If you skip the writing, you narrow the subject matter to just the grammar, which keeps the strength of this book. You end up with roughly doing three lessons a week. This leaves two full class hours for writing. :)

Now you say you only do three lessons a week. Do you complete one book a year or are you only doing half a book each year? Thanks so much!

If you do four lessons a week you'll finish the book in a school year, so taking the writing lessons out and only doing three will probably get you to about the same place.

My oldest only does R&S three times a week. We don't skip writing lessons, but we do double up on the easier grammar lessons. I aim for an overall average of four lessons a week.

In 3rd and 4th grade, my son did the writing assignments, as well as some Writing Strands and WTM-style writing in content areas. In 5th grade, my son read the writing lessons but didn't do the assignments. He again did Writing Strands and content-area writing. For 6th grade, I expect he'll do the same, adding in WWS instead of Writing Strands.

My second son isn't as interested in writing so will probably not do the writing assignments in R&S. But he will continue with WWE and then WWS, as well as extra history, science, and literature writing.

If it weren't for WWE and WWS, we would probably use the R&S writing assignments and then try to do additional assignments using those skills in other subjects.