Menu

What is the best course of action for treatment of thickened uterine wall?

I am sure some of you have gone through this. I am hoping for some wisdom please.

What is the best course of action for treatment of thickened uterine wall?

Not premenopausal.

My mom had uterine cancer when she was 24 so this scares me.

The doc wants me to take hormones for 3 months and go back. Then a D&C if necessary.

Is that the wisest route? I thought (and dread) that they would do a biopsy ASAP.

What led doc to scan to measure thickness?

What point in your cycle did (s)he do your scan?

Did your doctor do any blood tests on your hormone levels?

Is your cycle normal and on time?

When you're having your period is your flow normal, light or heavy?

There are a number of things, other than cancer, that can cause the lining to thicken too much. Prescribing Chlormadinon is reasonable - it's a synthetic progesterone (personally I'd prefer a micronized natural form like prometrium if I had to use it) and is a normal first step to resolve the issue. There are also other options besides a D&C and you'll want to know why your lining is getting too thick to be able to evaluate each and decide which is best in your situation.

RahRah, I had a cycle that lasted 35 days. I was given hormone pills by my GP and sent to a obgyn. The obgyn did the uterine sonogram 2 weeks before my next cycle (it was normal) started. I did have a blood panel - 8. A1C (I am now on Meds for diabetes) - WBC was a bit high - Platelets was 544. I am not premenopausal.

I will see if I have options on the hormone I am to take.

The lining in my uterus got really thick also. I think it ended up being 2 or 3 cm thick. I was having all kinds of problems during my cycle and in between. I did not want to do hormones. I opted to have a D & C done. It was such a good decision for me. The doctor also did a biopsy to make sure there were not cancerous cells.

I would highly recommend the D & C. I had the procedure done about 4 years ago and only recently have I started to have some of the same issues. The problems aren't as severe as they were and I can live with them for now. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

God Bless,

Elise in NC

RahRah, I had a cycle that lasted 35 days. I was given hormone pills by my GP and sent to a obgyn. The obgyn did the uterine sonogram 2 weeks before my next cycle (it was normal) started. I did have a blood panel - 8. A1C (I am now on Meds for diabetes) - WBC was a bit high - Platelets was 544. I am not premenopausal.

I will see if I have options on the hormone I am to take.

35 days doesn't seem abnormal at all. Mine goes that long every now and then. Also, it makes sense that the lining would be thicker if it was in there building up longer than normal. Do you have any other problems? Why was it measured in the first place? Just the longer cycle? Seems a bit extreme a treatment for a cycle that is in the normal range...I'd try vitex for a few months first.

35 days doesn't seem abnormal at all. Mine goes that long every now and then. Also, it makes sense that the lining would be thicker if it was in there building up longer than normal. Do you have any other problems? Why was it measured in the first place? Just the longer cycle? Seems a bit extreme a treatment for a cycle that is in the normal range...I'd try vitex for a few months first.

I meant that I had bleeding for 35 days straight - not that there was 35 between cycles. Sorry for not being clearer.

I have no advice, but just wanted to say I'm glad you're being proactive. Uterine cancer can be so hard to detect that it's worth investigating abnormalities, especially with a family history.

I don't think hormones are a bad way to go at all. If your body is out of balance, giving it something to balance it out could be very beneficial.

I meant that I had bleeding for 35 days straight - not that there was 35 between cycles. Sorry for not being clearer.

Sometimes a long, even a very long cycle is due to skipping an ovulation - it happens. I once had a cycle go for about two months - very frustrating - but it was due to changing diet and releasing estrogen from my stored fat. It eventually stopped and my cycle was back to normal within two cycles.

If the prescription regulates your cycle and then you're scanned again and all looks well, you'll do nothing more. If it doesn't regulate your cycle, you'll want to know why it's now off - your recent diagnosis of diabetes speaks to the possibility your hormones are off due to the hyperglycemia (evident in your A1C finding) - insulin acts on estrogen, testosterone and progesterone, so hopefully if it wasn't simply a skipped ovulation, working on glycemic control will help as you get your glucose levels under control - then things should begin to resolve. If they don't, then there is something more going on that your doc/Gyn will continue to look into and give you options about what are next steps.