Menu

independent, self motivated

I have a boy like that. He's four but has been that way since he was 2. Get his own juice, milk, cereal, snack -- sometimes with success, sometimes not. Set up his own TV and computer games, open every package -- even if it means trying to use a knife, grab a screwdriver to change batteries, run his own bath. It's nice, but then again...

Mine is 11.7, and I love her to death but she's driving me a little insane right now.

Does she have an older sibling that she is trying to outdo? My dd has always tried to keep up with her older brother. Right now she is trying to convince us that her BFF and her can safely sleep in their own tent since the boys (15/16yo) can.

I have a boy like that. He's four but has been that way since he was 2. Get his own juice, milk, cereal, snack -- sometimes with success, sometimes not. Set up his own TV and computer games, open every package -- even if it means trying to use a knife, grab a screwdriver to change batteries, run his own bath. It's nice, but then again...

Are you sure you haven't had my son? He has been this exact way since birth! I love it and it drives my nutty all at the same time!

Are you sure you haven't had my son? He has been this exact way since birth! I love it and it drives my nutty all at the same time!

I love it some of the time too. My boy is a second child, but I am not sure he is trying to keep up with sis. She is exactly the opposite - lazy to a fault. I don't mean that in an ugly way at all -- it is just how she is.

He will come in, fix his own juice and snack (without asking and usually right about the time I am going in to fix dinner or lunch) and be sitting at the table eating it when I walk in. She comes in a minute or so later, sits at the table, and says, "Where's my snack?" Really, I can't win for losing. :rolleyes:

My oldest was just like this when he was this age! When he was 10 yrs he just decided on his own to line up yards to mow without consulting his dad or me. He kept most of those clients until he graduated this past May though. At 14 he heard that the local pool was hiring lifeguards so after swim practice he walked over to the employment office (again without consulting us) and somehow convinced them to hire him, as pool maintenance,with limited hours until he turned 15 and became a lifeguard. He has moved up to coaching swim team, teaching community cpr etc.

Obviously this kind of independence can be positive, but we always had to be on our toes and remind him of the boundaries. I do understand the challenges as one doesn't want to squelch their initiative and creativity or the gratification this type of child receives from making decisions and finding solutions.

Now as he's getting ready to go off to college, we keep just keep reminding him that we are here for him when he needs us.

My DD is the same - add the word artistic and you end up with a whole lot of unexpected mess to clean every day.:glare:

My DD went to public PreK and on her report card the teacher mentioned the phrases "intensely self-motivated" and "independent learner" a lot :D

I used to have a lock on the art supplies cupboard -till she broke it off because she couldn't understand why she wasn't allowed to access the stuff freely :glare:

She never asks - she just does. Come to think of it she also doesn't think - just does.:001_huh:

My DD is super impulsive which I am guessing is where the problem lies.

She is getting better though - now she does something and when she is finished comes and asks me if she can :D At least I've gotten her to sort of remember to ask - we are still working on the ask FIRST part though ;)

:grouphug:

Edited by sewingmama