Menu

Just venting, but I can't stand my son's teeball coach.

My son's teeball coach was constantly saying, "We're going to have a makeup practice next week, I'll call you and let you know which day" and then he'd never call, they'd never make up the practices (a lot of rained out practices etc). Fine, whatever, I didn't really care if we had make up practices.

Then there was a fourth of July parade where the paperwork we were initially given said we would be meeting at a specific place. Then my mother happened to mention that she'd seen the parade route in the paper and commented that it was starting from somewhere entirely different. I called the coach to clarify and he acknowledged that it was starting in the place my mother had mentioned. So I said to him, "Well, maybe you should call the parents from our team and let them know. Not everybody gets the paper, and I would have gone to the wrong place if somebody didn't happen to mention it to me." His response was something along the lines of, "Oh, I talked to some of the parents, a lot of them are busy with holiday plans and won't be going, but you guys can certainly go participate if you want to." :confused: He talked to SOME of the parents? Why wouldn't he have called ALL of the parents from his team???

But the final straw was when I noticed a notation on my calendar for tomorrow saying that the "annual teeball picnic" was tentatively scheduled for tomorrow at a town pool. I texted the coach yesterday asking him to confirm. He never answered. So this morning I emailed the Little League President and asked HIM to confirm, and described the communication problems I've had with this particular coach like with the parade, and said that he has not been in touch as of yet about the pool party, either.

His response:

"Unfortunately, the pool party was last Saturday. It wasn't available on 8/13 when we reserved it in May. I called all of the coaches with the parade info and the pool info. I'm sorry it didn't get passed down to you. Happened with another team too. Next year I'll put more info on website."

Great. So my son missed the pool party which he would have enjoyed attending and which I would have enjoyed taking him to, especially with all the money we spent and fundraising we've done for teeball, because this coach is an idiot who couldn't be bothered with communicating with the parents of his team. I'm pretty aggravated. And while there's not much to be done about it now, I wouldn't have minded hearing, "I'll speak with that coach, he should have communicated better" or something along those lines.

I just wrote back, "That is extremely disappointing that (coach's name) didn't even bother to pass that info on. My son would have enjoyed attending. I'm pretty unhappy with him as a coach."

But I guess it's irrelevant now. Teeball's over, the pool party's over, and I'm not sure if we'll continue with teeball next year, but if we do, there's no way in you know what I'll allow my son to be on that guy's team again.

ETA: This wasn't his first year coaching either, so he's not a new coach. Two of his own kids were on the team and from conversation I overheard, I know that he at least coached the team last year, too.

Edited by NanceXToo

that stinks.

however, the coach is probably a volunteer, with a full time job, who it sounds like has not learned to juggle this stuff yet. In our baseball league, the coach will recruit a few parents on the team to "manage" stuff like parties, whose bringing water, a phone tree. Sounds like this didn't know how to do it all and was not aware that he could ask for help so that all the stuff that has to get done got done.

I'm sorry. That's so frustrating. Did they hand out end-of-the-year awards there too? Can you call some of the teeball friends and go have a pool party? I think I'd be looking for a new group, too.

I'm not sure, nobody mentioned anything about awards or anything, so I guess they might have. We don't know the numbers of anyone else on our teeball team (except for my brother as my nephews were on the team too, and he didn't get a call either). So frustrating. I'm glad I didn't mention it to my son because then he would have been upset, too. It's bad enough that I'm upset lol.

that stinks.

however, the coach is probably a volunteer, with a full time job, who it sounds like has not learned to juggle this stuff yet. In our baseball league, the coach will recruit a few parents on the team to "manage" stuff like parties, whose bringing water, a phone tree. Sounds like this didn't know how to do it all and was not aware that he could ask for help so that all the stuff that has to get done got done.

Maybe... it's not his first year coaching though. I know he coached last year too at least (no idea if he coached even longer than that). And his wife was there at every game helping out, too as his own two kids were on the team. And he had a couple of parent volunteers for helping to coach, but everyone brought their own drinks and nobody exchanged numbers other than the coach having our numbers. He called us initially to let us know about first practice, and once to let us know about one being rained out, but we never heard from him about anything else again, and while the parade irritated me, the pool party has really upset me, that we had to miss out on that altogether because of him. Sigh.

that stinks.

Honestly that doesn't fly as an excuse. It really isn't rocket science to pick the phone and dial. And it isn't rocket science to figure out how to get help either.

Honestly that doesn't fly as an excuse. It really isn't rocket science to pick the phone and dial. And it isn't rocket science to figure out how to get help either.

:iagree:

I think our t-ball coach is related to the OP's. We found out about the 4th of July parade about 9 p.m. the night before via text message. We found out about the first practice 2 hours prior to it happening (we had to miss it). We never heard about the first game. Then a few days later we found out that game #2 - which we'd never heard a peep about - was canceled due to excessive heat. I finally got pushy and insisted they tell me *right then* when game #3 was so we made it to that one, they gave me a printed schedule and we were fine -- except for special events.

I agree, this isn't difficult. And if you're too busy to pick up the phone or delegate, then don't volunteer.